Fish/Duck

• walldog
    Rochester

I need some advice on a Fishing and Duck hunting boat.
    Now, I hunt the back waters with a 14′ Polarcraft deep and wide v front. This is a great duck boat, but It does not cut through waves as much as I would like.

So I think a mod v might the ticket.

A 16ft Alaskcan looks like a great all around boat….
    except for the weight…..Too heavy in the sucking mud.

The Lowe Sea Nymph V1677wt looks great too comming a little
    lighter at 470lb. This still might be too heavy??

I have a 99 25hp ss merc

So if you have any ideas for me please reply. Open water season is back

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Depends on the backwaters you hunt. Can you run a bigger boat back there? I use a 14′ flatbottom (Lowe Big Jon)with a 25 hp motor. The boat is 240 lbs, and the motor is 120 lbs. I don’t think a 16′, 470 lbs boat with motor and gear and everything is gonna go too good with a 25 hp motor. As far as fishing and duck hunting out of the same rig, you are not really gonna find a boat that does both great, unless you have plenty of water and you don’t have to push/pull your boat around the swamp and you can go with a bigger rig. I have hunted and fished out of little flatbottoms for 20 years. I didn’t really have any problems (other than sore back once in a while) because I fished the river and that’s it. It’s also all I had, and it catches just as many fish as the big boats. This past summer I bought my first “fishing boat”. A 17′ lund. Now I know why I call one a fishing boat and one a hunting boat. I guess what I’m getting at is if you hunt the backwaters and just fish the river you don’t need much. You can fish the river safely in almost any weather condition. If you’re looking for a duck boat that can fish lakes it’s gonna be tough.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Depends on the backwaters you hunt. Can you run a bigger boat back there? I use a 14′ flatbottom (Lowe Big Jon)with a 25 hp motor. The boat is 240 lbs, and the motor is 120 lbs. I don’t think a 16′, 470 lbs boat with motor and gear and everything is gonna go too good with a 25 hp motor. As far as fishing and duck hunting out of the same rig, you are not really gonna find a boat that does both great, unless you have plenty of water and you don’t have to push/pull your boat around the swamp and you can go with a bigger rig. I have hunted and fished out of little flatbottoms for 20 years. I didn’t really have any problems (other than sore back once in a while) because I fished the river and that’s it. It’s also all I had, and it catches just as many fish as the big boats. This past summer I bought my first “fishing boat”. A 17′ lund. Now I know why I call one a fishing boat and one a hunting boat. I guess what I’m getting at is if you hunt the backwaters and just fish the river you don’t need much. You can fish the river safely in almost any weather condition. If you’re looking for a duck boat that can fish lakes it’s gonna be tough.

walldog
    Rochester

Blackduck,
    Two boats sounds like a good plan.

However, the wife is going to have a jolly old time with that idea.

walldog
    Rochester

Blackduck,
    Two boats sounds like a good plan.

However, the wife is going to have a jolly old time with that idea.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.