Layout Boat Hunts, Lake Pepin

• jer_schreiner
    Alma WI

4 days left. 4 spots per day, 150/ hunter. days left Nov 28, 29, 30 and dec 2. Have you ever experienced layout hunting??? Said by many to be the most IN YOUR FACE waterfowl experience you will ever experience! Especially around here.. I must say it is very exciting, fast pace…. “A Rush”

How it works
    You will hunt over 100 plus decoys in mother lines. in the two man boat. The first pair of “shooters” will be set in the 2 man boat from the tender boat to hunt either til a limit is shot or a box of shells, then switch out shooters.
    We communicate by radio as I move away far enough not to disturb.
    The idea is the same as a layout blind in a field, low profile and sourrounded with decs. Remember, Ducks are seldom disturbed in open water by hunters. As the flocks transition from food to loafing or roosting areas we intercept. Most times the divers swing low. the low profile layout boat is unseen as they fly up the ally and you sit up giving them a face full of steel!!! Ha I love it!!!

These hunts are almost filled up, but I wanted to make a post to inform any fellow IDO members who may be interested. Targeted specie include Glodeneye, Bufflehead and Blue Bill mainly. Occasionally ringers, cans, redheads or Puds. Divers were never a target specie until I open water hunted. It is very addicting/adrenaline filled!

If you are interested or have any questions please email [email protected] These hunts are a very unique and an exciting experience. Reasonably priced. Here is a pick from todays canvasback hunt of four out of the 20′ heated float blind. four were killed “2 of which trophys” and a bunch of puds.
    Thanks for reading, good luck hunting!!!

mudcatkid
    On water

Based on those pics, it looks like you guys had a good hunt!

On a side note, layout hunting is undeniably fun. If you’ve been layout hunting for any length of time you’re probably well aware that running a layout rig this time of year is an entirely different ball game than doing it any other part of the season. Wind is bitter, slushy white caps are unforgiving, everything weighs more from the ice, the water is colder than heck, etc. Whether its human or mechanical error, it doesn’t take much to escalate a normally insignificant situation into something of serious concern, potentially life or death if it happens a half mile from shore. For everybody that hunts hard the last few weeks of the season – don’t let the desire to bag some ducks cloud your judgment. Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

How do you get around the (must have sufficient vegetation to conceal a boat) ? law ??

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

They sound like great hunts Jeremy. No doubt that time of year is dangerous on the water, but that is all the more reason to hire a professional like yourself who has the proper gear and experience. Good luck the remainder of the fall.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

They are in WI where layout hunting is legal on certain waters.
    In most of the U.S. it is legal. Just not in the the State of where nothing is allowed IE MN.

Mwal

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Where is the boundry between Mn. and Ws. on Lake Pepin ?

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

For hunting purposes it follows the true state lines, right down the middle.

ET

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

That does not answer my question about Lake Pepin

kooty
    Keymaster

Here is a screen shot of the boundary according to Google Maps.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

So without a gps, how do you know exactly where the middle of Lake pepin is ,When your in a boat ?

kooty
    Keymaster

I can only imagine you’d have to watch the GPS pretty closely. I’ve never hunted border waters so I’m not real sure.

mudcatkid
    On water

Quote:

That does not answer my question about Lake Pepin

Actually it does. That is unless you are interested in the exact boundary, right down to the foot. In that case you could probably hire some surveyors to have it delineated for you.

Otherwise you invest in a GPS. Guessing leaves a lot of room for error – you must be 100% right because the opposing state’s hunting rules are entirely different. It’s just like fishing the Rainy River on the MN/CA border. It’s up to the individual to figure out and know where the invisible boundary is. You also must bare in mind that even Google Map borders (and many online references) are not always correct when it comes down to a jurisdictional boundary.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

not to mention that taking the gps coordinates from google and using them in your gps are always accurate as well…

Mark

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

So if a mn resident wanted to do this, one would have to buy non resident wi waterfowl tags?

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

correct

jer_schreiner
    Alma WI

Lake Pepin in WI it is legal to “open water” hunt. Anywhere, anytime, from any type of boat.

jer_schreiner
    Alma WI

Im still down here guiding for HHO Hideway Hollow Outfitters (Matt Raley). I tell you what, its been tough, I mean we are killing birds, but most are out in the middle. I CANT WAIT TO LAYOUT KILL EM next week when I get home!!!!!So frustrating when they get stale…. I still have 2 days open. This is an experience every waterfowler should do at least once…. Hardcore or beginner, doesnt matter!

recker

I was wondering how the layout hunts on Lake Pepin were? I did not even realize anyone offered these but something I would certainly be interested in looking into next year. Hunted pool 5 myself the last few weeks and it was poor poor poor.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.