Canada???

• jeweler
    Wisconsin

Looking at taking a trip to Canada to hunt waterfowl in a couple of weeks. Any advice as to where to go would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get into the specks but anything will work. I am jacked and can not wait to go. Thanks for the help and info!

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

I know most of the places in canada require you to have your firearms registered with the canadain government. Might want to check into that, hate to see you get up there and them not let you in with the weapons

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Make sure you find a place to get a license as well. We stopped at a Canadian Tire (like a Fleet Farm) and asked for Waterfowl licenses. The girl answered back “Waterfall”?We had to run to 4 different places to find five licenses and stamps. For Specks you need to go west of Lucky Lake Saskatchewan, near Kyle. We hunted Specks around Lucky Lake 8 years ago and did alright.I was there about 5 years ago and it seems the white geese had pushed the Specks out. Another thing to find out about is water. If it is dry, it could really affect where the birds will be. Lots of Cranes up there as well.

neverhome
    Anoka county

I go 2xs a year once to manitoba and once to saskatchewan. We don’t see any specs in manitoba but we get a few in saskatchewan. The farther west I believe is better for specs. If you want ducks, snows and canadas you can start north of North Dakota and drive to you find the birds you want to hunt. Plenty of water this year and all you need to do is fill out a form at the boarder and pay a fee for guns.. And yes look in advance where to buy a license. If you get in really late or really early in the day it can be difficult to find one. Good luck, It is awesome!

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Thanks guys! Any more help will be greatly appreciated. Not knowing and if someone already knows, where can a guy get a license at up there? Can you shoot cranes? Thanks a lot guys.
    Jeweler

neverhome
    Anoka county

Many places to get licenses, they just close early! I just got back.. It was mid 80s all week with not a cloud in the sky. Shot a ton of geese but the ducks were few and far between, and that is odd. We scouted and scouted but never found enough ducks to put a hunt together. We countined to shoot geese all week and like always it was a blast. Leave again in two weeks. I sure hope the major migration gets going where we are heading!

Good luck

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Well made it back from Canada, a! It was awesome. We ended up getting our ducks everyday but the geese were a little uncooperative. We still managed to get a few though. What a neat experience and very nice people. Seems like everything moves at a slower pace up there. Saw atleast one coyote everyday and some days 2 or 3. We were told most of the birds moved out already, but we were still shooting bluewing teal. No idea where they went, b/c by the sounds of the reports around here nobody is doing very well. Bring on the colder weather! Thanks to everyone who help with my questions.

neverhome
    Anoka county

It was a very odd year. We went in sept and it was 85 and sunny and no ducks around, the locals said they moved on already. We went back two weeks later and still no ducks and fewer geese. We still shot a lot of geese, but the numbers were just down. I think the locals said 40% or less of fields were planted in our area and most of the potholes were dried up. Thats my guess as of why our area was low with numbers of birds. Still a blast, but just an odd year. Cant wait for next year!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.