New Ducks

• mustbefishing
    Ladysmith, WI

HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN SEEING ANY NEW BIRDS AROUND?? I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THIS LITTLE BLAST OF COLD NIGHTS HAS BROUGHT ANY NEW BIRDS DOWN. I AM STARTING TO RECOGNIZE THESE LOCALS BY NAME.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i haven’t been seeing any that i would call “new” ducks down here. i’m going out tonight and tomorrow and i’ll report my findings, but i’m afraid they could be pretty bleak .

i’d be suprised if the norhtern part of the state hasn’t had a few more come in from canada the past week. unfortunatly it looks like it’s still going to be at least two weeks before we get cold enough weather to see any major push.

a few reports i’ve heard have said that there’s been a huge influx of waterfowl along the canadian border, but with 70’s predicted for this weekend, and nothing below 50 for all of next week i think they’re going to hang around up there for a while yet. but once that next really solid cold front hits, get ready, cause they’re coming

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i haven’t been seeing any that i would call “new” ducks down here. i’m going out tonight and tomorrow and i’ll report my findings, but i’m afraid they could be pretty bleak .

i’d be suprised if the norhtern part of the state hasn’t had a few more come in from canada the past week. unfortunatly it looks like it’s still going to be at least two weeks before we get cold enough weather to see any major push.

a few reports i’ve heard have said that there’s been a huge influx of waterfowl along the canadian border, but with 70’s predicted for this weekend, and nothing below 50 for all of next week i think they’re going to hang around up there for a while yet. but once that next really solid cold front hits, get ready, cause they’re coming

mloos

hey guys,
    well i have acctually been shootin alot… alot of cans too bad you can only shoot 1, there are alot of mallards where i have been hunting, not to many woodies and teal anymore, but alot of gadwall… me and some of my buddies got 8 the other day. 5 mallards, 3 gadwall. personally i think there are alot of ducks down now. we missed alot of ducks the other day too. some northern birds are down too i think… but good luck with your season.

mloos

hey guys,
    well i have acctually been shootin alot… alot of cans too bad you can only shoot 1, there are alot of mallards where i have been hunting, not to many woodies and teal anymore, but alot of gadwall… me and some of my buddies got 8 the other day. 5 mallards, 3 gadwall. personally i think there are alot of ducks down now. we missed alot of ducks the other day too. some northern birds are down too i think… but good luck with your season.

pitbull
    Too far from the river

where are you from mloos???????

pitbull
    Too far from the river

where are you from mloos???????

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

CANS ARE CALENDER DUCKS. THEY START SHOWING UP ANY TIME AFTER THE 15TH OF OCTOBER. AFTER THAT YOU GUYS THAT HUNT DURING THE WEEK WILL START CATCHING DUCKS THAT RIDE THESE LITTLE FRONTS IN. SO YOU HAVE TO PAY REALLY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE WEATHER. ANY MINOR FRONT WILL PUSH SOME NEW DUCKS IN.
    AROUND HERE IN SOUTHERN MINNSOTA I THOUGHT WE HAD A PRETTY BIG PUSH OF GEESE INTO THE AREA LAST WEEKEND. AT LEAST THE FIELDS AROUND MY HOUSE GOT THE HECK SHOT OUT OF THEM

GUNDY

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

CANS ARE CALENDER DUCKS. THEY START SHOWING UP ANY TIME AFTER THE 15TH OF OCTOBER. AFTER THAT YOU GUYS THAT HUNT DURING THE WEEK WILL START CATCHING DUCKS THAT RIDE THESE LITTLE FRONTS IN. SO YOU HAVE TO PAY REALLY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE WEATHER. ANY MINOR FRONT WILL PUSH SOME NEW DUCKS IN.
    AROUND HERE IN SOUTHERN MINNSOTA I THOUGHT WE HAD A PRETTY BIG PUSH OF GEESE INTO THE AREA LAST WEEKEND. AT LEAST THE FIELDS AROUND MY HOUSE GOT THE HECK SHOT OUT OF THEM

GUNDY

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i’d like to retract my previous statement about no new ducks being down. I WAS WRONG

boy oh boy, did i get a suprise today . DUCKS EVERYWHERE!!! and not them little ducks either…..BIG DUCKS.

hunted the river bottoms this morning and again this evening. to say there were some new ducks down would be an understatment . we had a ton of big flocks of mallards flying over us all morning. unforutunatly we weren’t expecting big ducks so we set up on one of our woodie holes. the mallards would fly over, we’d give em a few quacks and they’d break up, turn right around and give us a look. but we could only get two groups to commit. i think a robo duck would have been an excelent tool to have this morning. too bad it’s in ND with my dad .

normally we don’t hunt the evenings, but seeing all the ducks this morning we decided it couldn’t hurt. we moved up river aways to some bigger water in hopes that that might be the key…… unfortunatly it wasn’t . apparently the key was being a cheesehead. we were hunting the wrong side of the river. we saw just as many ducks, but they were all heading into wisconsin, and the guys in wis. were blastin away big time!! talked to a couple guys at the landing on the way out that we’re hunting over there and they said they got 11 ducks in 1 1/2hrs . agian, i think a robo duck would have worked wonders for us tonight.

where all these big ducks came from i have no clue, but i’m glad they’re here. we saw very few woodies today, and NO TEAL. hopefully this is a sign of things to come. if it gets a little colder this week, next weekend could be pretty good. cross your fingers.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i’d like to retract my previous statement about no new ducks being down. I WAS WRONG

boy oh boy, did i get a suprise today . DUCKS EVERYWHERE!!! and not them little ducks either…..BIG DUCKS.

hunted the river bottoms this morning and again this evening. to say there were some new ducks down would be an understatment . we had a ton of big flocks of mallards flying over us all morning. unforutunatly we weren’t expecting big ducks so we set up on one of our woodie holes. the mallards would fly over, we’d give em a few quacks and they’d break up, turn right around and give us a look. but we could only get two groups to commit. i think a robo duck would have been an excelent tool to have this morning. too bad it’s in ND with my dad .

normally we don’t hunt the evenings, but seeing all the ducks this morning we decided it couldn’t hurt. we moved up river aways to some bigger water in hopes that that might be the key…… unfortunatly it wasn’t . apparently the key was being a cheesehead. we were hunting the wrong side of the river. we saw just as many ducks, but they were all heading into wisconsin, and the guys in wis. were blastin away big time!! talked to a couple guys at the landing on the way out that we’re hunting over there and they said they got 11 ducks in 1 1/2hrs . agian, i think a robo duck would have worked wonders for us tonight.

where all these big ducks came from i have no clue, but i’m glad they’re here. we saw very few woodies today, and NO TEAL. hopefully this is a sign of things to come. if it gets a little colder this week, next weekend could be pretty good. cross your fingers.

flick
    Alma WI

Hey Jake, What are you talkin about theres no ducks in Wisconsin there all in Minnesota……. lol

flick
    Alma WI

Hey Jake, What are you talkin about theres no ducks in Wisconsin there all in Minnesota……. lol

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I don’t believe these are new ducks so much as they are ducks that haven’t been shot at in a week. I hunt 4 out of 5 weekdays, and every other weekend and I can tell you there were, and still are a lot of ducks around. I get to the swamps early and stay late to scout. The ducks get on a pattern of leaving the swamps as the hunters enter in the mornings, and then come back after shooting time is over. As far as this pattern goes I believe you can have the opinion that there are no ducks, because you rarely see them, and for the most part these are the ducks that have been around for some time and know how to play the game. I like to call them the unhuntables. Call shy, Decoy shy, shy away from points, don’t like to circle over weeds, and the list goes on.
    My brother and I hunted a spot on the second opener in WI that is hard to get to and really not an attractive “ducky spot”. It was a 1/4 mile hike off of the river in a dried up channel that was mucky. Once back in the woods it opened up into a 6″ deep pond that was about 100 yards by 30 yards. We shot 4 Drakes, 7 GW Teal, and a Wood Duck. With the trees it was hard to pick out Drake Mallards, so we thought we would wait til better light, but then no Mallards showed back up, but we did have a boat load of Teal trying to get back in to us. It’s been years since we got to bust into flocks of 20-30 Teal. In the main swamp, it’s usually 1-5 birds.
    As for your CHEESEHEAD coment. I live in Minnesota and think you should take it easy on them. They lost again today, and it’s starting to get rough. I even stopped giving my coworkers a hard time about the Packers because it’s getting to easy. My sympathy goes out to the Packer Fans. RIP.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I don’t believe these are new ducks so much as they are ducks that haven’t been shot at in a week. I hunt 4 out of 5 weekdays, and every other weekend and I can tell you there were, and still are a lot of ducks around. I get to the swamps early and stay late to scout. The ducks get on a pattern of leaving the swamps as the hunters enter in the mornings, and then come back after shooting time is over. As far as this pattern goes I believe you can have the opinion that there are no ducks, because you rarely see them, and for the most part these are the ducks that have been around for some time and know how to play the game. I like to call them the unhuntables. Call shy, Decoy shy, shy away from points, don’t like to circle over weeds, and the list goes on.
    My brother and I hunted a spot on the second opener in WI that is hard to get to and really not an attractive “ducky spot”. It was a 1/4 mile hike off of the river in a dried up channel that was mucky. Once back in the woods it opened up into a 6″ deep pond that was about 100 yards by 30 yards. We shot 4 Drakes, 7 GW Teal, and a Wood Duck. With the trees it was hard to pick out Drake Mallards, so we thought we would wait til better light, but then no Mallards showed back up, but we did have a boat load of Teal trying to get back in to us. It’s been years since we got to bust into flocks of 20-30 Teal. In the main swamp, it’s usually 1-5 birds.
    As for your CHEESEHEAD coment. I live in Minnesota and think you should take it easy on them. They lost again today, and it’s starting to get rough. I even stopped giving my coworkers a hard time about the Packers because it’s getting to easy. My sympathy goes out to the Packer Fans. RIP.

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Hey guys, I hunted Manitoba a week and a half ago and, if prelims are any indication, you guys should have a good hunt later this year. We have been going up there 7 years now and I have NEVER, EVER seen flocks of mallards like that before. Talking thousands of birds. Simply amazing to see flock after flock of mallards going out to feed in the AM and PM. Hope some chose to come down the Miss. Good luck to all who chase them.

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Hey guys, I hunted Manitoba a week and a half ago and, if prelims are any indication, you guys should have a good hunt later this year. We have been going up there 7 years now and I have NEVER, EVER seen flocks of mallards like that before. Talking thousands of birds. Simply amazing to see flock after flock of mallards going out to feed in the AM and PM. Hope some chose to come down the Miss. Good luck to all who chase them.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

boy is that good news

it sounds like the praire pothole region of N&S dakota has been pretty pathetic so far this year. in a lot of places water is scarce and ducks are scarcer(is that a word?).

so at least some of those ducks will be headin down the Mississippi our way, we just need some colder weather to get them on the move. i don’t no about anyone else but i’m gettin sick of hunting in this 80degree stuff

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

boy is that good news

it sounds like the praire pothole region of N&S dakota has been pretty pathetic so far this year. in a lot of places water is scarce and ducks are scarcer(is that a word?).

so at least some of those ducks will be headin down the Mississippi our way, we just need some colder weather to get them on the move. i don’t no about anyone else but i’m gettin sick of hunting in this 80degree stuff

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

All we need now is some cold weather and a stiff north wind and we’ll be in business big time. I can’t wait. Local ducks just can’t compare to the big northern flocks.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

All we need now is some cold weather and a stiff north wind and we’ll be in business big time. I can’t wait. Local ducks just can’t compare to the big northern flocks.

Gator Hunter

nubbinbuck

My friend just returned from Sask. He talked to a few farmers up there, and they indicated that the Mallard hatch was the highest they have ever seen. He indicated that they saw several fields being worked by ~10,000 Mallards when up there. Now you just have to pray for a change in the weather, and that isn’t looking real promising over the next week or so.

nubbinbuck

My friend just returned from Sask. He talked to a few farmers up there, and they indicated that the Mallard hatch was the highest they have ever seen. He indicated that they saw several fields being worked by ~10,000 Mallards when up there. Now you just have to pray for a change in the weather, and that isn’t looking real promising over the next week or so.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

Gator Hunter

hey gator,

last weekend I was up in Park Rapids hunting some mud holes and nothing was flying, and I could not locate even a stray flock of nothing up there. I did hear that there was supposed to be snow up in Canada today and tommarow, that might start the great migrations. we need some of them big green heads working thier way down here.

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

Gator Hunter

hey gator,

last weekend I was up in Park Rapids hunting some mud holes and nothing was flying, and I could not locate even a stray flock of nothing up there. I did hear that there was supposed to be snow up in Canada today and tommarow, that might start the great migrations. we need some of them big green heads working thier way down here.

shane

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.