Nebraska Snows daily update

• gregh
    s.e. minn

Pm sent

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Well this ended up being my day one of the trip. Travel buddy came down with a cold the Thursday and since the following week involves 15 hours a day in this ever changing weather we put off our departure untill later Saturday and missed the hunting.

Well the move paid off he’s feeling better, and the birds are flying.
    Day one started FOGGY! Which was a blast. You couldn’t see birds until they were locked in @ 40 yards. By 12:30 even in terrible weather 5 of us had 35 birds on the ground.

Shortly after that though the day turned. the fog lifted and birds flared for no apparent reason. Sat it out and changed things up. Then of course they stopped flying.

Then the magic hour came. Winds picked up, the sun was setting and in the last 45 minutes of the day 32 more birds had fallen.

All and all not a bad day. Little wind burn and a few empty shell boxes. Weather should be clearing up and we are expecting better hunting the rest of the week. Pictures coming soon.

Off to shower and sleep, and start all over again.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Thanks for the update! How’s the snow/ice/water where your at? Seeing much for big numbers or are you not working migrating birds (not sure where your at)?

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Well quick update as it’s bed time. We are hanging out in se Nebraska still about an inch of snow on the ground but 45 projected temp should finish that off. All ponds seem to be open.

The birds are starting to work! Had 4 flocks of 2500+ today. Day was good and could have been great but with this being the 1 st clear day one of our guys only shot at three flocks and taped the majority of the day. Ended with 68 birds 2 bands.

Try to update from the fed tomorrow.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Thanks for the updates…please keep the updates coming!

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Anymore???? You have use hanging… Good luck!

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

Waitin for the next report…Hope youre shootin em right now!!

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Alright brief update.

Tuesday I my self ran into some issues. I’m a eighty but when pushing my self up in my blind Monday night I heard a pop in my left shoulder. Whatever move on and keep gunning. So the rest of the day I was using my right hand to lift my gun out of the blind. Great idea but by we’d morning I couldn’t even make a fist with my right hand. Took tuesdaySo this is me in the morning laying in my blind, as well as my view from the “office”. Hands down one of my favorite views in the world.  I’ll try to take a picture of what it looks like when there are 2500 birds above it.   You should come join me.  It would be cozy.

If you ever wanted to experience this , and not hunt, I would buy you everything you would need.  It amazing. off, sort of, to recover. The boys had 37 on the ground when they came back for lunch and I said I’ll figure a way to make it happen. Well that did t go so well but by we’d we were back to 90%.

Wed morning was brutal! The weather has been ever changing this hunt started with 4″ of snow has been overcast, foggy, sunny, windy, and calm. Anyways we’d was 14 degrees to start the morning with a -2 windchill. Yay! It’s just like home! 4 bird morning. Called it lunch time early just to get inside and warm up. Went out at 2 till 7 and had yet another pile to clean. Don’t remeber that days body count.

Thursday once again different weather. Decoys have had to be switched 2 times minimum whey day with today being the exeption. No change and by the end of the day we were enjoying 60’s and hunting in t shirts.
    Well we laid the hammer down. 57 birds and we had a bad evening as the wind just stopped and killed all movement in the spread. We could not get a bird to end the day.

So 4 guys 5 days current total 257 birds in the cooler.

For those that have not had the chance to chase snows DO It! There is no way to describe to you what 5,000 birds above you is like seeing then to see a line of then see a string attaching to those flocks that goes all the way to the horizon!

Goal for this week is 300 birds. Sounds like due to weather tomorrow may be an evening only hunt as freezing rain and rain should start any minute, and continue till noon. But we will see. Besides I don’t even know if that will stop us. Ran into some hunters using. Guide today at our hotel. My buddy is loves to show up guides, and he can back up his talk. So I think he’s going to have us all gunning harder to hit our goal, just so we have more birds to clean than everyone else.

Oh almost forgot the band count is now @ 4. Im still looking for mine. I have told every one I wanted to get mine later in the week as it keeps the efficient going all week as you never know what the dog is bringing you

Alright off to bed hoping we can make it out I. The morning.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great updates. I was in south central NE on Thurs/Friday last week. The weather was not nice. Saw some small flocks just south of York, but not many birds.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

One word to sum up the day? Yeah I can do that… BRUTAL!

Woke up to no rain, so much for sleeping in, so out to the field we head. Should have slept. Highs today in the low 30’s with north winds 20-30 mph. Cold cold COLD. Pretty much shut the birds down. We fought to get all 4 flocks work us today as birds just were not flying. We did manage to put the hammer to 20 birds but it was not as easy as it was earlier in the week. The birds aren’t behind schedule so it seems they just figured to take a day off and try again tomorrow.

Tomorrow looks to be better for man and bird. Still in the 30’s with a north wind but 10-15 hoping more for the 10 range, with “ample sun” tomorrow according to the weather whatever that means.

Oh almost forgot we had a flock of about 800 birds a bout 3/4 of a mile north of us we were hoping to get a few out of during the evening shift. Yeah. That was a no go when about 3:30 we heard 12 shots come from that direction. Two guys got permission from the farmer to sneak and shoot. Wouldn’t you know they are in our hotel 3 doors down. They got 46 birds…. One was a neck banded Rossi. That was my bird!

Alright the wind kicked my i need to get some sleep and be ready for the last full day.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Alright well just got home. What a week. Try to update tomorrow, but we’ll see. We have a TON of birds to clean, so it may be a day or two.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Sounds like a successful hunt! Looking forward to the update and pics!

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Quote:

Sounds like a successful hunt! Looking forward to the update and pics!

X2 sounds like a great time

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Well as I was getting ready to put up a final report lastnight, I was stopped dead in my tracks. The weather that scared us out of our spot, well it never came. So after cleaning 326 birds… Back to nebraska we go. Leaving Thursday night, Time to re-pack. I’m making a weekend out of it and the other guys are possibly staying through next week.

Nebraska Here we come round II.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Awesome reports and congrats on your outing! I hope this trip will be as memorable as your last one.

BTW – we want pictures!

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Pictures will be coming shortly! I promise. well alright monday(ish) when I get back from round 2

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.