switching from pockets to open water

• mloos

Hey Guys,
    well i have a question for you all….
    i have been hunting in pockets for mallards, teal, woodys and geese and i thought i would try hunting in some more open water. I was wondering what you guys think about decoy placement and how many to put out?? I have thought about many different types of hunting. Maybe putting out all the decoys or maybe just a few with one robo duck???

flick
    Alma WI

Hey Matt, Very Good Question. First off when hunting pockets you will be shootin all puddle ducks..With an occasional diver flyin over in the mix….When hunting opening water you will be mostly hunting divers..Except later in the season when the northern birds aren’t down an all thats left are smart locals…I have seen Mallards/puddlers circling open water an landing right down with the coot..When hunting open water the decoys are much more notice able to the birds..I usually like putting out big spreads when hunting opening water because of the amount of water for the flocks to land.I guess it all just depends on your personal preference..When it comes to decoy placement I like either makin a J shape or a line with the diver decoys…and you can never beat a couple robos in the mix late season…Hope this Helps..

flick
    Alma WI

Hey Matt, Very Good Question. First off when hunting pockets you will be shootin all puddle ducks..With an occasional diver flyin over in the mix….When hunting opening water you will be mostly hunting divers..Except later in the season when the northern birds aren’t down an all thats left are smart locals…I have seen Mallards/puddlers circling open water an landing right down with the coot..When hunting open water the decoys are much more notice able to the birds..I usually like putting out big spreads when hunting opening water because of the amount of water for the flocks to land.I guess it all just depends on your personal preference..When it comes to decoy placement I like either makin a J shape or a line with the diver decoys…and you can never beat a couple robos in the mix late season…Hope this Helps..

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

What is the definition of open water. Is a 5 acre cut less than a 100 yards from the main channel a pocket or open water?

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

What is the definition of open water. Is a 5 acre cut less than a 100 yards from the main channel a pocket or open water?

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

My group switched to open water about 3 years ago and have learned alot about it already! The most important thing to remember about open water hunting is there is never to many decoys! Now when it comes to decoy set up we found that a big J formation seems to work the best. Just make sure to leave a pocket for them to land in. We put our lucky duck in the middle of the J but just closer to land about 15 yards from us! And trust me if you catch on to the open water you will love it and never go back to those puddles!

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

My group switched to open water about 3 years ago and have learned alot about it already! The most important thing to remember about open water hunting is there is never to many decoys! Now when it comes to decoy set up we found that a big J formation seems to work the best. Just make sure to leave a pocket for them to land in. We put our lucky duck in the middle of the J but just closer to land about 15 yards from us! And trust me if you catch on to the open water you will love it and never go back to those puddles!

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

How far out will your outer dekes be in your “J”.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

How far out will your outer dekes be in your “J”.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I have hunted both, and I just prefer the potholes. Just a matter of preference I guess. Nothing for me like 20 mallards circling the hole and dropping in. Seems more, I don’t know, secluded or something. Everybody has their favorites, and this year with the dry weather the open water will likely be more productive.

Curious on the J formation. Do you do that with your diver deks and mallards, or just the divers?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I have hunted both, and I just prefer the potholes. Just a matter of preference I guess. Nothing for me like 20 mallards circling the hole and dropping in. Seems more, I don’t know, secluded or something. Everybody has their favorites, and this year with the dry weather the open water will likely be more productive.

Curious on the J formation. Do you do that with your diver deks and mallards, or just the divers?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.