Load oz./ Shot / & Shell size?

• dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

I was just wondering for getting prepared for next year’s duck season if I’ve been using the right shells and shot size for duck hunting. This past year I used the high density ULTRASHOCK shell’s from federal premium and liked them a lot. I was shooting 3″ & shot size 3-5. I was getting about 1350 to about 1450 muzzel velocity out of that ammunition. The thing I was wondering was what do you fellow duck hunters use/ like? I’m hoping to try the new Black Cloud next year but at $25 a 25 pack its getting pretty pricey.

deerdragger

I tried the Black Cloud this year – 3″ 2 shot – and, I gotta tell you, I was impressed. The knockdown power really carried well down range. Yeah, they are spendy, but they really do what they claim to do.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I have never been let down with Kent Fasteel paired with a pattern master. I shoot 2-4 1550 fps on ducks and BBB 1550 when goose hunting in 3 1/2″. I think you can get quite a few Kent loads in the 1625-1640 fps rounds, but I seem to shoot best with the 1550 fps.

Last season I bought a case of X-Pert’s because I thought I was going to get them really cheap. We’ll they didn’t end up being that cheap and I did not care for them at all. It seemed like 1 out of every 10 shots had a slower burn rate or something. They just didn’t feel right I guess.

neverhome
    Anoka county

I used black cloud 3″ 2 shot last year and will stick with that until I can find something better. However, I did get it at a nice price at $90 a case. Just remember to clean the gun a little more often. I made sure I was cleaning my gun every night while we were in Canada last fall putting a lot of rounds through the gun everyday.

lars
    Rochester, MN

$90 a CASE? Would you care to give directions?

neverhome
    Anoka county

Im lucky to be related to someone who works for federal in Anoka

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

I’ll take the direction for that $90 a case of Black clouds also!!!!!! I’d try them for that Price!!!!!

I’m with Mallard. Kent FAST are hard to beat in my book, for performance and price.

Whatsa

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I like the Federal Ultra Shoks too. I just seem to shoot better with the various 1450 FPS loads than the 1550 FPS loads. I use 4’s for reall early season, 3’s through Oct-early Nov, then 2’s and maybe even 1’s (if you can find them) or BB real late when the birds get a good down on them.

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

deer dragger thats nice to know and I think I’ll try the Black Cloud

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

Mr. Mallard it sounds good with those kent loads getting 1650 fps out of that it must have good knockdown ratio??? “If you a good shot”

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

Neverhome. I’ll remember that about cleaning it everyday I do that normally but I’ll make sure with the Black Cloud!!!

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

good point where did you get those for $90???

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

MossBoss good to hear you liked the Ultra shock also!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Dylan, you ever thought about reloading your own shells? I used to shoot alot when I had my dogs and we’ed burn through the shells. Early on I realized it was much cheaper to reload my casings and get better and more powerful shells too. I used to reload boxes of 1 1/2 oz. loads for just over $4 a box, with the supplies to reload them now they are probably around $6.00 a box. These were some kick a– loads too and after I got the recepie for the loads out of the reload book I rarely lost birds. The knock down power was a whole lot better too on any shot, 40 an 50 yrd pheasants and they were dead befor they hit the ground if I didn’t wing them. If I rememebr right they were around 1,400 fps., I used to shoot trap then too and they were just 40′ a second slower then my 700x 7/8 oz trap loads. With a full choke they would really reach out and touch the birds and when leading the bird all you had to do was sight in on the beak, follow smoothly then pull the trigger and they were down, they would just fold. I know all the supplies are still reasonable. I used to buy a pound of HS7 powder for around $10.00, a bag of double A red wads for the same. A box of fiocci primers for $2.50 and a 25 pound sack of no. 4 shot for $20. At that time around 8 years ago I was making $12.00 a box loads for Around $4.00 a box and they had the same dram equivelant as a 3″ nitro mag and these were 2 3/4″ casings. These shells were very nice loads and we didn’t have to worry about the price eigther when reloading.

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

mossydan ill just have to think about it!

ken67

comming from a beginner who doesnt know much, will knda make this sound odd, but i also prefer federal ULTRASHOCK 3″ but i use mainly 4, 5, or 6, and i agree that the prices on shells is really gettingup ther espacially if you load them yourself.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

I’m with MM. Kent or Fed. Size 2-5 for ducks, BB, BBB, or T’s for geese. There is not gain for going to 1625 over 1550. Unless your barrel is 36 inches long. The power does not burn thoroughly through 26-28 inch barrels. It may be fast out of the barrel, but looses velocity and power down range.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

for me, I use Kent fast steel 3″ 2 shot for ducks and 3.5″ 2 and BBB for goose, depends on what I have in the gun and how much time I have to switch shells. mostly I just shoot what I have in my gun at the time.

shane

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.