Bow-n-Arrow Goose

• shayla

I know this sounds crazy, but I was in Rochester today and noticed there’s about a billion geese around there in the surrounding farmland, which got me thinking! I bet I could take one with my recurve! Anybody ever done this before? I’m pretty good at shooting a disc out of the air, so I think I could kill a goose, but I don’t know how to call them in or what type of a set-up a guy should do.

Here’s my proposal…anyone that has access to some good goose-hunting over fields and wouldn’t mind taking me, I would be more than happy to trade a day of fishing on the river, Pools 2 or 4, your choice!? Probably have to be next fall, but send me a PM and we can discuss it. Thanks!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Tred Barta does this.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Tred Barta does this.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

This was one way that the metro golf courses wanted to get rid of some geese. It did not take long before someone higher up put an end to it. The reason was that after being hit with an arrow the birds would take off and fly away with the arrow still sticking in the bird.
    I remember seeing a news broadcast with a goose walking around with a arrow sticking out of it.
    Best of luck in bagging a goose, sounds like a challenge.
    Ron

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

This was one way that the metro golf courses wanted to get rid of some geese. It did not take long before someone higher up put an end to it. The reason was that after being hit with an arrow the birds would take off and fly away with the arrow still sticking in the bird.
    I remember seeing a news broadcast with a goose walking around with a arrow sticking out of it.
    Best of luck in bagging a goose, sounds like a challenge.
    Ron

shayla

Sliderfishn,

I wouldn’t think a golf-course would be the best setting for this type of hunt….atleast not as far as the public is concerned, but I applaud the efforts of whoever’s idea it was because there are too many geese on those golf-courses!

My idea is to use heavy cedar flu-flu’s tipped with a guillatine broadhead. That way if I miss the arrow will drop very near by, and if I connect the goose will drop very near by! Nothing escapes after a guillatine goes through it….NOTHING! I shot a turkey with one once and it about sawed him in half, very effective on large birds!

MikeW,

Did Tred “Do it the Hard Way”? Did he get one, I missed that episode!? I wish I had the time and money to do some of the crazy stuff that guy does. You’re the man, Barta, You’re the man!

shayla

Sliderfishn,

I wouldn’t think a golf-course would be the best setting for this type of hunt….atleast not as far as the public is concerned, but I applaud the efforts of whoever’s idea it was because there are too many geese on those golf-courses!

My idea is to use heavy cedar flu-flu’s tipped with a guillatine broadhead. That way if I miss the arrow will drop very near by, and if I connect the goose will drop very near by! Nothing escapes after a guillatine goes through it….NOTHING! I shot a turkey with one once and it about sawed him in half, very effective on large birds!

MikeW,

Did Tred “Do it the Hard Way”? Did he get one, I missed that episode!? I wish I had the time and money to do some of the crazy stuff that guy does. You’re the man, Barta, You’re the man!

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I think Tred was duck hunting in North Dakota. The birds were litterly on top of him if I remember correctly. He missed 9 or 10 times like he generally does at anything, and then connected with a drake mallard. It may have even been banded. Don’t remember for sure.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I think Tred was duck hunting in North Dakota. The birds were litterly on top of him if I remember correctly. He missed 9 or 10 times like he generally does at anything, and then connected with a drake mallard. It may have even been banded. Don’t remember for sure.

col._klink
    St Paul

I have wacked a few honkers while bow hunting on the edges of corn feilds when they come in and land. They start walking around being dumb.

You should see how fast a 100 grain Thunderhead going 300 fps with a high shot above the breast will drop a big honker

As far as shooting them out of the air……….that would be awesome!

col._klink
    St Paul

I have wacked a few honkers while bow hunting on the edges of corn feilds when they come in and land. They start walking around being dumb.

You should see how fast a 100 grain Thunderhead going 300 fps with a high shot above the breast will drop a big honker

As far as shooting them out of the air……….that would be awesome!

waterfowler99
    Midwest

Quote:

Tred Barta does this.

i have seen himm attempt geese alot but have never seen him connect. he has been oh so close though

waterfowler99
    Midwest

Quote:

Tred Barta does this.

i have seen himm attempt geese alot but have never seen him connect. he has been oh so close though

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

There was an episode where he shot a mallard. Haven’t seen the goode epipsode. Took him a couple days to get his mally.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

There was an episode where he shot a mallard. Haven’t seen the goode epipsode. Took him a couple days to get his mally.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

A few years ago, at a manufacturing plant here, some idiot decided to shoot one with his bow during his lunch hour. There was a couple of problems with Einstein’s plan. It was the middle of the summer, and he did it in front of everybody and their sister. Thankfully, someone called the DNR.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

A few years ago, at a manufacturing plant here, some idiot decided to shoot one with his bow during his lunch hour. There was a couple of problems with Einstein’s plan. It was the middle of the summer, and he did it in front of everybody and their sister. Thankfully, someone called the DNR.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.