Washington Island Door County

• fred bartling

I am going to make my first trip to Washington Island next week to fish for smallmouth. Any suggestions and starting points would be much appreciated. One question I also have is if it is not windy can you safely boat from Door County to the island and where would you launch. I know you can take the ferry, just wondering if their are other options. Any suggestions on baits and presentations would be appreciated. Who has any stories to tell. Its a bucket list trip.

Thanks

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I can’t help you Fred, but good luck!!

SR

Sylvanboat

I bought my boat in 1996 and my wife and I took the inaugural trip to Washington Island. There was a hotel on the island run by a former Lombard IL cop; great guy. We spent several days fishing for northerns in the bay. Great trip. If the hotel is still there, check it out.

B-man

Smallmouth bass????

You’re in some great salmon country man mrgreen

Get out the spoons toast

Biggest last night was 21 pounds. Headed out again soon.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200624_202114.jpg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

One question I also have is if it is not windy can you safely boat from Door County to the island and where would you launch. I know you can take the ferry, just wondering if their are other options. Any suggestions on baits and presentations would be appreciated. Who has any stories to tell. Its a bucket list trip.

Thanks

Isn’t the legend of that passage called “Deaths Door” for a reason? whistling

Eh…you’ll be fine I’m sure. roll

Anyway can’t help with current fishing tips (B-man can) since the last time I fished there was 1976. SMB were an easy catch back then.

Beautiful and unique area Door County is, like no other in the Midwest. I’d love to get back there someday.

Enjoy your trip!!

BTW B-man, that’s a nice king. waytogo

munchy
    NULL

I’d talk to the marinas in Gills Rock. They’d be the closest point of access to the island other than the ferry.

the_hat
    SE Metro

B-man,
    Are you up in the Door now? If so out of what port are you fishing?

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

B-man,

I would also be interested where you’re at and if you would share any info. Wife and I are going up there for the 1st time 7/9 for 10 days for our “honeymoon” since we had to cancel our actual. Will be chasing salmon most of the time and have never done it. PM me if you’d like.

Thanks!

travelNFish
    Nebraska

Went 2 years ago with Adam Rasmussen Guide service/Part of the IDO staff. 2 days on salmaon and did really well with fish upwards of 23lbs, and 1 day of walleye which was great too. He has some damn nice boats and crew.Can’t wait to do it again, and i wouldn’t change a thing.

B-man

Fishing out of Kewaunee. I have a three week job in Green Bay, figured I’d make lemonade and bring the Grady. Rented a slip for the month and leaving it there. Taking my crew guys out as much as possible during the week.

It’s a only a half hour from the hotel in GB to the dock.

Killed it this morning (didn’t have to work and headed home today for the weekend). Went 10/14, a fricken blast toast

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200626-1042392.png

2. IMG_20200626_082630.jpg

the_hat
    SE Metro

Damn nice fish. Gonna be huge in a month for sure.
    Can I ask how far out you are having to go and what is working best? Flasher fly’s or spoons??
    Looking at heading over in about 3 weeks but thinking maybe I should go now!

B-man

Damn nice fish. Gonna be huge in a month for sure.
    Can I ask how far out you are having to go and what is working best? Flasher fly’s or spoons??
    Looking at heading over in about 3 weeks but thinking maybe I should go now!

The fish were biting all over this morning, heard guys on the radio catching in 100′ out to 300′

My 300′ coppers have been hot, 400′ copper has been good, and 150’s are taking a mixed bag.

Captain Valium flasher with a beat up green frog fly (missing 80% of the tinsel) has been killing it on a 300′ copper. Can’t keep the damn thing in the water lol

I’m going to trim down/thin out some newer flies to try and replicate the beat up one.

Spoons have put some fish in the boat, but F/F’s have been better. Nothing on meat rigs yet.

I paid my dues this week and had a couple tough nights, a great night, and a killer morning (this morning was the only morning we could fish).

Have two more weeks of fishing out there, then headed to LOTW for a real vacation!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200626-1323322.png

MnPat1

Your timing should be good for bass fishing the area. Don’t forget to bring some hair jigs and swimbaits.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.