FLW Live

• scottie56005

For all the people that fish on the weekends and have little to no success…..take notes! Best gear, best electronics mean nothing when weather strikes.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

For all the people that fish on the weekends and have little to no success…..take notes! Best gear, best electronics mean nothing when weather strikes.

If you dont know where to fish

I personally got my limit today in about 45 minutes, a couple whites too. I guess I should be an FLW pro

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I personally got my limit today in about 45 minutes, a couple whites too. I guess I should be an FLW pro

Twenty Pounds??

drew-evans
    rochester MN

Quote:

Quote:

a blind squirrel has to find a nut every once in a while…….

j/k couldnt resist, somebody is always going to catch fish on the river wether it is a tough bite or not. river fish have to eat daily some times they will only eat for 10 min. if you dont get them then you wont.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

For those guys to pre fish 3 to 4 day before the event and still find so little is something. Hadnt been back to pool 2 since the cold front came threw but it was going pretty good before that.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Twenty Pounds??

40!

Nah, just little saugers. Probably 8-9lbs total.

jrholz

Quote:

Quote:

You most certainly could have. All you would’ve had to do is fish the four qualifying tournaments during the year. Finish the year 42 or better of the 202 FLW Walleye Pro’s and your in. Easy I guess.

fishbait

Saugers have be 15″ to weight in or so I was told by the pro’s that talked with last week end.

scottie56005

I think there was an ice tourney last winter by Alexandria. Couple hundred anglers and 0 fish were caught.

It can be tough out there no doubt! Like the one guy said, a bad bay fishing is better than a good day in Iraq.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Saugers have to be 15 inches to weigh. The bite has been tough down here all week’ not just today. We got two 21icher we had to throw back today. Weighed one at just over three pounds. The slot limit makes it tough. There was 24 boats out of 40 that Locked up this morning. Only leaves u about two hours to fish after locking up twice to get to pool 14. But the fishing is so bad on 14 that over half the field locked up.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Good points to your story. I’m sure if they could have trailered to there hot spots, instead of traveling 5+ hours we’d have seen better limits. Right Scottie?

BBKK
    IA

None of the FLW pros fishing this tourney read this. This is not for you but for everyone else that lives in the QC. #4 chubby darters fished in the slack water. Forget the twisters and minnows, they arent doing crap. Go outside the box. Blades and chubbys.

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

I feel for the pros battling the elements today. I fish these pools several days a week the bite has been pretty good for my boat. I fished Sunday and had 18 eyes with a 5 fish limit between 19.5 and 19 .75. That was Sunday. With the massive front coming through today I would not have wanted to run the 30 plus miles in 4 footers to get to fish for 2.5 hrs and think I would pull a limit. They are going to have another tough one tomorrow with 20 plus out of the north west. The fish are there you are just going to have to grind it out to make the cut . I do think by this weekend the bite will improve and the weights will go up. Good luck to all the pros.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So why do they go up two pools to fish. Being a river guy I would think they are driving over a lot of fish to get there. Is there something special up there? Why not just fish below one of the locks. You would think some fish would be moving up to them by now.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

32 walleyes and 22 sauger. Had 2 morts after the weighin and a couple more delayed morts when I released them at about 7:00 last night. I released them on the winded shoreline and no one else this morning, so we’re looking at the same footprint as one anglers limit. Not too bad for 42 boats.

One other thing folks haven’t talked about a lot is the river temps going up right before the tournament. I have to believe that slowed things a bit and I would anticipate the last three days to show a lot better. I know it turned the bass on. 7 degree rise in temp Wednesday couldn’t have helped even though it was a beautiful day.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Fish hatchery at the Nuclear Plant in Pool 14. We stocked 380K walleye over 2 inches in 2010, which is the primarily age class in the 15-20″ harvest slot. Not all of those in Pool 14, but in Pools 12-14. I did the fish release and looked for freeze brands we put on a percentage of the fish to do assessments of the hatchery. We can take credit for about 10% of the fish after the first day.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thats interesting. You must of figured you would be seeing some of your fish at weigh in?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Its also interesting that you guys stock the river down that way. Dont think I have ever heard of any walleye stocking of the river up this way. Pools 2-4. Lots of fish kept out of pool 3, 4 and below but its seems the DNR thinks those pools pretty much take care of them selves.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

We have been stocking walleye since 1985. There was a minor walleye, stronger sauger fishery here in the 70’s. After 30 years, we are extremely spoiled when it comes to catching big walleye. When I go out to get fish each spring for the hatchery, it ruins you really quick with how many 10 lb+ fish are in the Pool. I’ve fished those spots extensively and catch 1 for every 10 that are there, when I’m lucky.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Final totals: 155 fish, 67 walleye, 88 sauger. 7 morts total, so great job to the fishermand and FLW on that! We ended up with about 15% hatchery fish, which is a bit lower than the 21% for that age class, so it did show that the guys stayed downstream vs running to P14.

I know that the guys had a rough time, but they are welcome to come back anytime as far as I’m concerned! I just hope its a tour event so I can fish too!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.