Frontenac/Maiden Rock Area

• jech84

I’ll be headed down to Pepin Monday and Tuesday and was wondering how the ice is. Hope to fish out of Frontenac. Also wondering what the current is like. Last I heard it was ripping through there pretty good.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

im heading down tomorrow for the day, PM me (to remind me) tomorrow and i’ll let you know how the ice is.

EW6

A week ago it was walking or 4-wheeling out of frontenac cause ice around the point was sketchy like only 8 inches. They looked to be driving full size trucks out of bay city though. Current was moving about like last year, fishing was slow, only a few white bass.

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

I fished out of Maiden rock and drove jeep with permament house behind me and drove out to chanel with 14″ of ice–I wont fish out of Frontenac!! but that me–caught a few smaller ones–few ice heaves out there were I want to go was in about 21 fow today–good luck

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

the flow is still strong and the bite is slow

gas
    plainview, minnesota

was out fishing from frontenac yesterday and the sauger hit was great. Pink and red seemed to work best with just a minnow head.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

was out from frontanac yesterday also, the ice was maybe 6″ where i was fishing and flow was very high and changed drasticly by moving just a few feet. be careful out there lots of heaves too.

jech84

Went out this afternoon and caught one 17 inch sauger and 8 13 to 14 inch walleyes. Hardly no one on the MN side. Marked a bunch and could get them to follow our jigs/raps up but couldn’t get them to take it. With this cold front that moved in today, I wish I was out there yesterday. Fished 22 fow and had a lot of current with about 8 inches of ice.

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

I was down Sunday and did ok and Monday was no good at all–22′ wondering same thing if cold front shut em down?? 14″ of ice WI side–try try again eh!!

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Any one ever use a camera down there? I did last year. Really wonder why they dont like what I was offering up. I could only see a few feet too. Its hard for me to judge size off the camera but I saw a bunch of fish. Sounds like if its flowing really good most likely cant see an inch though.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

i had a camera two weeks ago could see a few feet only seen a glimpse of one fish but we did catch our limit. but we usually catch our fish down there in a one to two hour window the rest of the time we just have lots of lookers. just gotta wait them out and keep moving until you find active fish.

jech84

Just talked to a friend of mine that fished out of Frontenac upstream by the green buoy two days ago. He said he drilled through 8 inches of ice, walked 10 yards to drill another hole and had one leg go through the ice up to his crouch. He got out ok but scared the crap out of him. He keep fishing and caught a few.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve heard that a pick up took the dive on Saturday out of Frontenac.

fireline
    Rochester

People just don’t get it !

drew-evans
    rochester MN

yes a truck did go through up along point no point where they should not of been! they drove on from maiden rock and drove past all of the other trucks that had stopped short of the bad ice, i bet he wished he would have just walked that last 200 yards. thank god nobody got hurt from what i herd anyway.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

We stopped out there on the way back from the swap meet – sure were a lot of vehicles out there. We stopped along the line with the bulk of the rigs but found ice that was about 8″ thinner only about 40-50 yards towards the MN side from where we parked. No fish to report, just one looker on the flasher.

Glad to hear nobody was hurt.

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

yeah ice varies from area to area there–had my perment down there since 14th of Jan–drive out from Maiden rock–but a guy cant go towards Minn channel–thats why no one else is out there–14-16″ ice on flats but I fished yesterday towards channel couple hundreds yards from where I am and was only 12″ and less if went to channel more–fishing been slow last few days–weather??

jech84

Headed down to Frontenac this weekend. Anyone been out lately? Hows the ice holding up?

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

maiden rock still has 14″ and driving out yet– stay away from Min channel is all—was down today from 7-10 with a few caught–lil slow today it seemed–maybe cause with cold front coming in?? good luck

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

How’s the ice on maiden rock side of things ? just checked frontenac and a few ppl fishing the bay but not out towards the point at all

ozzyky
    On water

7-9 inches out to about 12 feet then things get really dicey…couldn’t hold a person up now where most of the people were driving and fishing last yr.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Thanks for the update i wound up making my way there fishing was ok at best found em to be scattered walked out about a mile from landing wondering what all this potential rain could do to the ice and the bite

haleysgold
    SE MN

Anybody been out lately?
    I’m going to run up there after work tonight and check it out.
    Was hoping to give it a whirl tomorrow evening.

These warm spells always makes it interesting up there.
    A few years ago I was on 12″ early in the day and by dark the current had eroded it to about 4″. I tiptoed off.

jimmysiewert

Snowmobile went through yesterday at long point, just south of Methodist. Luckily some people hiking in state park so the person floating. The sheriff department and conservation officers were able to get him out. One of the officers also fell through. They helicoptered the snowmobile operator to hospital. Haven’t heard if he made it or not. Pray for the best. It is not safe out there.

jimmysiewert

Snowmobile went through yesterday at long point, just south of Methodist. Luckily some people hiking in state park so the person floating. The sheriff department and conservation officers were able to get him out. One of the officers also fell through. They helicoptered the snowmobile operator to hospital. Haven’t heard if he made it or not. Pray for the best. It is not safe out there.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Yikes i am pretty sure i saw the snowmobile take off from maiden rock beach an head way out and south I was surprised he was going That way and short time after i stopped hearing the sled i heard sirens now I’m piecing things together reading this scary situation hope he’s alright . I was out there yesterday during the day and didn’t do any good but tried again this morning and caught a few crappie and perch lots off people and four wheelers solid 8 inches everywhere I’ve been out there

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.