River Rat Randy Rigs….a close-up view

• jhalfen

I picked up a full set of River Rat Randy rigs from Dean this past weekend. I know a few guys wanted to see these rigs up-close, so here’s a look at the full collection.

From left to right: Dork Rig, Short Live Bait Rig, Long Live Bait Rig

jhalfen

The rest of the collection.

From left to right: Phelps Floater Rig, Miller Rig, 3-way Rap Rig (with double rap attachment)

jhalfen

These are available from Dean at Everts, just in time for springtime riggin!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Thanks for taking the time to do the pics Jason! Perfect timing to,it is time to start rigging!

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Rigging—-ha!!
    Time to fish the trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

HAH!!!

Under water trees!!

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Is that red mono?

jhalfen

It’s Maxima Chameleon…red-brown in color.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Never used a setup like that Miller rig. I assume the swivel attaches to the main line, then two jigs to the drop lines.

What’s the snap on the end for?
    Anyone care to chime in?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

A sinker Joel.

Randy has snaps on everything.It’s the tourney fisherman in him.

Dean Marshall

Quote:

Never used a setup like that Miller rig. I assume the swivel attaches to the main line, then two jigs to the drop lines.

Anyone care to chime in?

For the pencil weight Boog!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone care to chime in?

For the pencil weight Boog!

That’s kind of what I thought but it didn’t make sense to me. So, thinking out loud here:

If two jigs aren’t enough to hold this rig down….is the idea to use light weight jigs or do people normally put on floating jigs?

Or, is this rig more often used in deeper water where a pencil weight becomes necessary?

We have a version of the Miller Rig that we’ve used on the river above Lake Wisconsin. Our version gets down with just the weight of the two jigs so I’m trying to get an idea of where and how I would use the miller rig.

Thanks for the help Brian & Dean!

Dean Marshall

We typically use 3/32 or 1/8th jigs and the occassional bucktail fly.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

It’s Maxima Chameleon…red-brown in color.

What are the advatages with this line and what pound test are you using?

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Good question Steve, and does the rat himself use and have confidence in that line? I’m all about not tying 3-ways anymore, just wanna know if this is official river rat gear.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

…and does the rat himself use and have confidence in that line?

Randy may chime in when he is not fishing or tying up rigs… The guy fishes more than I am on line.

Anyway, I can assure you he does use the line and probably why Dean always for as long as I can remember stocks it! His rigs are all tied with that line.

I asked Randy the same question and his serious “I’m not shtn you reply”….the stuff is tuff. Even dinged he has confidence in the line.

-J.

Dean Marshall

Quote:

Good question Steve, and does the rat himself use and have confidence in that line? I’m all about not tying 3-ways anymore, just wanna know if this is official river rat gear.

Sorry I missed this….yes it is what we use ourselves.It is a pain in the butt to get anymore as well.Maxima Chameleon is well known and highly regarded in the Steelhead fishing world.Nothing is any tougher on line,than a poed steelhead in 30mph current with rock & wood.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

Steve, at the seminar at the Bluff’s about a month ago Randy said all his rigs are tied in 10 lb. Maxima Chameleon. I have used the Maxima Ultragreen and still do. It is an excellent mono.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Time to bring this one back up to the top. Are these rigs still being sold at Everts?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

YOU BETCHA!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m not sure who if anyone makes these anymore, but they were walleye killers!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

There is a flash back. RRR and I were discussing pulling flies. The methods I use up on the Bago system and other places. Randy kept talking about quick snaps on the loop and I wasn’t getting what he was referring to. He sent me a few of his rigs. The light bulb went on and I figured out how he was dragging jig/fly combos so tight to structure. Elevated my game – THANKS RRR

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I’m not sure who if anyone makes these anymore, but they were walleye killers!

Some us P4 Walleye guys still use them…I tie all my own

nord

trumar, how much distance between the loops for the jigs?

lunker33
    excelsior

Randy, maybe a dumb question, however, what is a jig fly combo? A three-way with a jig on the bottom and a some type of fly on top?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Randy, maybe a dumb question, however, what is a jig fly combo? A three-way with a jig on the bottom and a some type of fly on top?

That is one way to do it.

Pulling Flies for Eyes i believe originated on the Detroit River (or at least is a staple there).

You can also use the attached photo rig. Put a jig on bottom for weight, or just a weight (depending on legal qty of hooks) and flies on the other loops.
    Flies on loops bring a desired action.

Lots of ways to incorporate a fly. Info not too readily available but do some searching for walleye flies and you’ll run into some articles and videos typically revolving around Detroit river fishing.

Flies are cheap and easy to tie, fun too. I have hundreds, just don’t use them too much.

OOps photo didn’t attach. 5th from the top.

All the rigs above RRR used, have an option to add a lure that is considered “Weightless”. Bare hook, floating hook, fly, stick bait, etc etc. All the rigs also require something of weight to deploy and maintain depth. That can be jig, weighted lure (like a One-Eye), or a weight.
    You can even toss a fly trailing a stick bait – he’s got an adder setup there too.

lunker33
    excelsior

thank you Fish Blood! very interesting

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.