Sure signs of spring on Pool 4

• jhalfen

Sign of spring #1: the smallies are waking up!

A 19″ smallie seems like a good way to kick off the 2010 bass “season”, and a GREAT way to snug up the Cortland line on my new Pfleuger Arbor reel. Thanks Dean!

jhalfen

Sign of spring #2: the giant roughies are waking up.

Somebody help me out with the correct name: smallmouth buffalo?

jhalfen

Sure sign of spring #3: 42 boats between the Y and LD3, at dusk, on a weekday!

Turns out that they were there for good reason!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Jason,

Did you happen to notice what the water temps were running for you tonight?

Thanks,

FDR

Jackofallspecies
    Andover, MN

Yup, smallmouth buffalo – what a fantastic fish!

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Great report Jason, Are they working on the dam? The flow and water temp reports have been missing the past several days, what up with that?

Brian Lyons

Quote:

Somebody help me out with the correct name: smallmouth buffalo?

Green Sunfish, and a damn nice one!!

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Great pics Jason, we caught some of them on the wisconsin river tuesday as well . Not sure on the proper name either.

From Jeff

jhalfen

Quote:

37 to as high as 40

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Sign of spring #1: the smallies are waking up!

A 19″ smallie seems like a good way to kick off the 2010 bass “season”, and a GREAT way to snug up the Cortland line on my new Pfleuger Arbor reel. Thanks Dean!

Ahhhh…Hard to tell who’s better looking in that picture…the fish , the reel, or the rod.
    You are fast becoming a “Fisher of Men” Mr. Halfen…I know I’m in!

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Jason that is a Quillback (smallmouth buffalo). Member of the sucker family.

jhalfen

Quote:

37 to as high as 40

The great thing about that warm water is that it is just loaded with fish. This screen capture from my Humminbird 1197 shows the left side image chock full of fish, with a few individual, larger specimens on the right. Every single pass through this area resulted in hookups. Note the time: mid-afternoon, well before the dusk feeding binge. Finding this mass of active fish was made simple with Humminbird Side Imaging.

P.S. The best thing about it was that we had this pile of fish 100% to ourselves. We often preach about the importance of leaving the community holes and finding unpressured fish. Humminbird Side Imaging takes the mystery out of that, and allows you to find fish of your own!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Quote:

P.S. The best thing about it was that we had this pile of fish 100% to ourselves. We often preach about the importance of leaving the community holes and finding unpressured fish. Humminbird Side Imaging takes the mystery out of that, and allows you to find fish of your own!

Good advice…think I have heard that before!
    That is a great screen shot & advice!

siclone
    W. Lakeland

Did that buffalo hit a ringie???

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

hey jason, what tactic was most productive for you this trip? thanks hope to be over there a few times in the next few weeks.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Jason

What are your thoughts on that Arbor reel so far. I’m in need of a few new spinning reels and was thinking about gettting the Pfluegar Supreme or Medalist. I picked up a President XT last year and have not been all that thrilled with it. Not very smooth. All of my Shimano’s are starting to wear out – but after 8 – 10 years what can you expect.

jhalfen

My primary application of the Arbor so far (including a number of test drives this winter) has been for pitching/dragging very light jigs. The big “wow” came a couple weeks ago when I was able to cast a 1/8 jig with half a ringworm into a stiff upstream wind, and have that presentation go a LONG way. Impressive, to say the least!

I think that the long casts that the Arbor makes possible are augmented with a long rod (for more leverage) and light line (8 lb braid or 6 lb mono). I’ve been more than happy so far.

The Arbor drag system worked great for getting that big roughie in on 6 lb test!

If you’re in the market for an Arbor, then Dean at Everts can set you up with a test drive to try it for yourself. When you’re ready to buy, be sure to ask him to wind it with 6 or 8 lb Cortland for the spring pitching bite.

jhalfen

Joe, PM on the way.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

37 to as high as 40

Thanks Jason!

fishnhard72
    Ankeny, IA

guys being this is my first trip up there this early where is the best places to find some fish?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

guys being this is my first trip up there this early where is the best places to find some fish?

Stop in and talk to Dean or who ever is working at Everts they will get you pointed in the right direction

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

37 to as high as 40

TThis screen capture from my Humminbird 1197 shows the left side image chock full of fish, with a few individual, larger specimens on the right.

Jason,

Nice Posts.

I have no experience with these side imagers, and have yet to get excited about them, because, I can’t see what you are seeing. I trust you, but where are the fish on that image? The black masses? what would scattered rock look like? What advice do you have for interpreting side imaging?

Thanks,
    Turk

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

37 to as high as 40

TThis screen capture from my Humminbird 1197 shows the left side image chock full of fish, with a few individual, larger specimens on the right.

Jason,

Nice Posts.

I have no experience with these side imagers, and have yet to get excited about them, because, I can’t see what you are seeing. I trust you, but where are the fish on that image? The black masses? what would scattered rock look like? What advice do you have for interpreting side imaging?

Thanks,
    Turk

Turk,

I am on Jason, but let me try to explain it. The bright white returns are the fish themselves and the darkness below them are their shadows. So the farther away the shadow is from the white sonar, the higher up in the water the fish(or any object) is. Hope this helps.

FDR

colbkyl
    Cedar Falls, IA

Jason

What size of Arbor reel have you been using?

Thanks, Kyle

jhalfen

The smaller of the two available sizes: 7430X

Dean has them available. Give him a ring, and he’ll put one in the mail to you. My recommendation is ask him to spool up one spool with 8 lb Cortland, and the other either 6 lb Cortland or 8/3 fireline crystal.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Jason,
    Very nice start to your season..
    Can’t wait for all your great Posts during the season.
    Picked up the camera last wed.
    thanks,
    Jack

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.