quick question for pool 4

• mr. sauger25

we were out sunday eve did ok but not as well as most boats we watched my buddy did catch his personal best northern 42 inch with 20 in girth took measurements and let her swim my ? is we normaly drift down dragging bite was pretty slow most of the boats doing well were dragging going up river we tried this but didnt have any luck are you suppose to put on a little heavier jig we were using 1/8 ounce jig and could never feel bottom going up and we were defeinitly not going to fast any tips would be helpful normally when there hitting we have had no problems catching fish drifting down

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

You could have been dragging to slow or maybe you had to much line out and were on the bottom. Maybe you didnt have the right colors on. There are many variables as to why others were catching and you were not. Did you ask any of those on the water that were catching fish what they were using as far as jig weight, ringer colors and speeds they were dragging at? Sometimes its the littlest things that make the biggest difference.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

My guess is you were not close enough to the bottom. What I do is let the line out till you feel bottom and then wind it in a little till you don’t feel it anymore.What size jig were you using? I can’t remember what size, But I do remember it’s a small jig…..

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

The weight of the jig is dependent upon current flow, depth, and speed of your boat. What you want to do is let out line until you feel your jig bumping bottom then reel up a few turns until you are no longer contacting bottom. That should put you in the strike zone.

Obviously dragging up stream is going to require a lttle heavier jig or more line out or a slower speed to keep your jig down versus draggin down stream.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

If you do well drifting down river, why not keep doing that?

Actually, I suppose you can’t. The posts on this website have everybody and his brother trying to fish at night. There were about 3 dozen boats fishing the WI side sand flat on Saturday night after dark. If you want to fish there your only choice might be to get in line. Not fun at all in my opinion, even if the fish are biting.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Check out this video (click here). The video could help you fine tune your dragging presentation or there is a more “in-depth” video available here.. Everts does have the Jig Dragging DVD on hand so if you are interested pick one up next time you are down

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Most likely it was color choice. We were there on saturday and did quite well with 1/8th oz jigs. A 60ft cast or so and we were in business dragging upstream.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

If you do well drifting down river, why not keep doing that?

Actually, I suppose you can’t. The posts on this website have everybody and his brother trying to fish at night. There were about 3 dozen boats fishing the WI side sand flat on Saturday night after dark. If you want to fish there your only choice might be to get in line. Not fun at all in my opinion, even if the fish are biting.

I was on the MN side dragging saturday night with 2-3 other boats and a couple that were anchored up and pitching. I was picking up all 16-20 inch fish with one that was in the 5+lb range that came un-buttoned, I was also doubled up from time to time. If you are not having fun fishing in all those boats there are fish in MANY places on the river other than where you and 20 other boats were fishing.

thegun
    mn

Quote:

If you are not having fun fishing in all those boats there are fish in MANY places on the river other than where you and 20 other boats were fishing.

OMG You know all the fish are right there! Y would you tell people such nonsense!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

OMG You know all the fish are right there! Y would you tell people such nonsense!

I just want to get them out of my spot so I can fish it.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

There are many “little things” that factor in the success of dragging jigs,that go well beyond plastic or jig color & weight. The DVD does a great job of going through many of the details that many of us have never even thought of.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I may be all wet but this is how I visualize how dragging jigs works. Of course a biggy is your covering more water then vertical that is a given.

At the bottom of the river there is all these subtle current changes caused by the bottom. Side to side up and down in and outs. With the proper weight jig matched to a plastic bait these lighter presentations make use of these subtle curent changes moving the lure in different directions as the current moves. IE. A rock instead of banging into it as with a heavy jig setup the lighter jig has a tendancy to follow current as it sweeps by the side of the rock changing direction and velocity of the presentation ( more realistic ).

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Tom, that was deep man. IMHO, correct, but deep.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Buy the DVD well worth the money. I had a hard time finding the faith in this presentation. They cover all the problems with it in the video. Then you have to give it a chance. When you get it to work its a blast.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.