Q: When’s the right time to check your lights?

• jhalfen

A: Before you leave the dock.

I was disappointed to see a number of boats on the water last night without working nav/anchor lights. At least two were fishing an area that I was in….one had no nav light up front, and one had no anchor light on the back. If your bow is pointed away from me, and you have no anchor light, I CAN’T SEE YOU!

Let’s not have an accident on the Mississippi River in February at dark. Please, guys, if your lights don’t work, call it a day when everyone out there can still see you.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Quote:

Please, guys, if your lights don’t work, call it a day when everyone out there can still see you.

X2.

arklite881south

Good Call Jason!!

No accidents boys!! Safety has to be first.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

I’m with you Jason 100% , Guys check ALL your lights, trailer, boat, vehicle. Be Smart, Be Safe !

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

spend a few nights catfishing on the mississippi, and you’ll really get to see how many run without lights.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

spend a few nights catfishing on the mississippi, and you’ll really get to see how many run without lights.

I think you meant…you will hear how many run without lights.

jon_wbl

I am always amazed at the # of people that run without or with on some of there lights working. Last year we saw 3 people in kayaks crossing the middle of WBL well after dark. Those things are hard enough to see in the daylight.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Ya I saw that last night too. Light poles can be a pain in the neck but I dont think its anything like plunging into 33 degee water.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Thanks for the post Jason, I was out last night too and noticed how few were running lights. I also need to remind myself to look up the rules on the lights. I think you need them on at sunset or even before sunset and not just at or after dark.

Dave

trouter18

According the boating regulations (WI), when anchored or drifting only the stern white light is required to be on. Is it smart to leave both on for added safety, or is there a reason one should turn the bow lights off when not motoring?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.