Pool 17, Toolesboro

• littlebuddy
    Iowa City

I hadn’t been down to pool 17 this year. So I headed down Thursday. Thought I would work some wing dams.

WOW I saw the muddiest water I have ever seen in my life!
    The Iowa river dumps in to the Miss a couple miles below the dam. At the confluence the water was like chocolate ice cream with fudge swirls in it. There was an incredible amount of Iowa top soil in the water. It was just sad to see all that run off.

Needless to say the bite was off.

herb
    6ft under

Tom, the Iowa’s been dumping like that for a few months now. But when you were there thursday, we had just gotten a foot and a half raise on the Miss. from the 6 inches of rain in Davenport wed. morning.The forecast looked like it was going to be maybe next weekend before the current gets down enough to fish wingdams again.
    Been up and down all year.

rrouff
    Aledo IL

Nice to see some posts from this area. I was down the am of the 4rth and trolled from New Boston to the dam hitting likely spots and came home empty handed. I fed a few cranks to the wingdams with the same results. What method do you usually use when you fish the wingdams?

Still learning,

Jeff H

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Hard to catch any walleyes consistently this summer on the New Boston pool for me, but, the bass are still hitting in a few spots. And, we’ve been catching some of those huge (huge!) Drum down on the rocks by the Edwards River with crank baits.

littlebuddy
    Iowa City

Yes Herb that would explain why the water was so muddy! That makes for a tough bite. In Iowa City we have missed all those rains that raised the Iowa and the one Davenport got. I guess I should figure out that army corp. site that has the river stage info on it.

Jeff I usually just troll in front of the wing dams, in our area they are nice and long so a guy can get in a decent run.

riverrat4797

On my river charts and experience, Toolsboro and the Iowa River are in Pool 18.

VikeFan

Just as you P18 guys thought it was getting better below the mouth of the Iowa…

The COE finally began dropping the flow coming out of Coralville res. this past weekend–that gradual drop was planned. Yesterday morning, when it became obvious that Johnson County was going to get a lot of rain, they dropped the flow some more to compensate for the heavy run-off. In a two-day span, the Iowa below the res. dropped two feet, and then rose two feet. I was just out tonight on the Iowa–the water is high, and the color of dark chocolate. A lot more Iowa topsoil is on its way to the Gulf of Mexico.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.