Pool 13 Bellevue

• kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Anyone been out? Is she open below the dam? Last weather report I heard about 10 days ago said there was still lots of ice, but it was rotten. I would think with the rain and warm weather, its got to be open a good ways by now. Anyone been out? When was the opener below the dam this year, was it 3/12?

Thinking of places to go this weekend…

Regards,

Joe

mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

KornKing

I’m getting the itch myself. I don’t know if the river is open up around Bellevue yet but, pretty much every thing south of there is. I took a look at the reg’s just the other day and if I remember right, the opener below the dam isn’t until 3/15. Couple more days, but, open by this weekend.

Good luck!

traumatized
    eastern iowa

It’s my understanding that it’s closed through the 15th. That would make the opener on Friday the 16th. That’s what the DNR site says. It’s the same every year. Here’s the paste
    “The season is open all year on Mississippi River pools 9, 10, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19. There is a closed season for all fishing on the Mississippi River in the tailwaters at three navigation dams from December 1 of each year through March 15 of the following year. The closed areas include only the main channel and main channel border areas and do not apply to backwaters and side channels in these zones. These closed fishing areas are:
    1. from Dam 11 at Dubuque downstream to the railroad bridge, near river mile 579.9.
    2. from Dam 12 at Bellevue downstream to the mouth of Mill Creek, near river mile 556.0 and
    3. from Dam 13 at Clinton downstream to the downstream end of Stamp Island near river mile 521.5. “

jags

Yep, 03/16/07. And I’m starting to shake already.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Rugbystar and I fished the Iowa (below the Coralville dam) yesterday for about 5 hours; she’s high and dirty.

Some nice fish came out of there on Sunday, but it looks she rose 2-3′ since then. In 5 hours of fishing, nothing was caught amongst 3 boats; though we did see one guy nail a nice one from shore.

Its just plain muddy, I think it turned them off…we tried everything but pulling big stickbaits near the bottom. I thought for sure a Zonar might get some interest, but no takers.

Anyhow, my eyes are looking to the east…not sure I’m gonna mess with the Iowa til she clears up and/or drops a little bit…

Anyone planning to head out to Bellevue this weekend?

Joe

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Joe, there will be plenty of boats at Bellevue I am sure. The ‘Miss is rising fast and picking up a lot of steam, but I believe I’ll hit her down at Clinton regardless, unless the ice breaks up on the pool and makes it impossible.

I know several guys in my area are heading to Bellevue to avoid all the mud that enters from tributaries in pool 13. Namely the Maquoketa and Plum rivers. I think I only have a half day so I’ll stay here at Clinton and hope for some luck in finding a few on the current seams and breaks.

Good luck to all who venture out, and be safe!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.