Drop shot rigs/ Slip bobbers?

• HommeDeNord
    Independence, Iowa.

Hello all. First I would like to compliment this site; great info and tips. Between this site and the Great Morel Site I would have very little need of the net. Anyways. Here is my two part question. One, I have beeh reading a great deal about drop shot rigging and even though I usually only use this set up for panfish It seems to me that it could be a very effective tool especially fishing the face and backsides of wing dams. Question one, do any of you use this technique on the river, and if so where and when do you like to use it. Second, slip bobber rigging. Very effective in a lake such as mille lac, but can the slip bobber be used in a fast current situation that the miss river offers. Well, I look forward to getting to know many of you better and developing some friendships. My home fishing grounds are generally harpers and lansing areas so if anyone has any questions about those areas that any of the other members that fish these areas cannot answer I would try my best to offer any info that I can. Have a good night. P.S. Question, Does anyone know what HommeDeNord stands for…It goes bach to Lewis and Clark.

Bogsucker
    SE MN

“Homme De Nord” means “North Man”

JimW
    SE MN

Bogsucker,

That’s right! You are the winner of today’s fishing website quiz show!.

You won an all expense paid day on the water wading or floating for species of your choice with yours truly!

That’s if you ever go fsihng this season!

Jim W

orca
    Red Wing, MN

Steelhead fisherman have been using slip bobbers for years. Set your depth to fish a certain drift that has a consistant depth so your just barely off bottom, this may take a few drifts to figure out,cast up stream and let drift in a natural way. No drag. Reel up the slack as the bobber comes toward you.If your casting cross current let out enough line so the whole setup wont drag, pretty hard to do at first butt deadly on any kind of gamefish.Remmember drag is bad, It lifts the bait up an presents a unnatural drift.

HommeDeNord
    Independence, Iowa.

First Bogsucker…I guess that was a easy one. I thought it would be a bit more difficult. I was just reading a book about fur traders, and it was explaining that the fur traders that traded at thunder bay were called “pork eaters”, and the traders that braved the harsh conditions further north up to the Hudson Bay were refered to as “HommeDeNords, men of the north. I actually have no Idea why I asked this question anyway…hehe, but it was cool to see the quick answer. Small note and I apologize for posting this info in the walleye area…but when I was a kid my brother and I had to progress up a scale earning the right to become HommeDeNords….The sequence goes like this…First we had to become a Necturine, then a Tangerine, then wolverines, then wolves, Then finally the ultimate Respect…being dubbed an HommeDeNord. We of course had to eat live minnows, worms, let leaches hang from our tounges for five minutes….ect, ect…There are reductions also…When I was around 15 we were on a lake by the name of Maynard Lake in Canada….I got demoted from a wolverine back to a tangerine, because I woke my dad up and told him there was a bear in the camp…and it turned out to be one of the other men in one of the other tents snoring. Any who I am still on the path of Becoming A Full Fledged HommeDeNord. And when we go to canada at 34 I STILL allow them to get me riled up enough that I do really dumb things in trying to become one… Anyway thanks for the responses guys…Good Luck Fishing

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

When you fish rivers like the Wisconsin, there is lumber everywhere. I have been trying to perfect the use of drop shotting for this purpose and also deep bass. I actually think of it more as a crappie rig than drop shot rig , but from seeing the Bass guys version they are very similar. Best solution for the timber though seems to be threeway rig with shorter leader and a slim floater like a phelps(spelling). Works well with minnow ,crawlers, leeches around here and dead shrimp on the Gulf.
    Slip boobers actually work in the same situations, but I like the feeling of knowing where the bottom is with a DS Rig

HommeDeNord
    Independence, Iowa.

The reason I have asked the two questions and I think mainly the drop shot system…and or something along those lines with some adaption w/ weight for example, is that we all over the years of fishing have become fairly proficent at jigging, trolling, running 3/ways….(that is not to say that I do not still have a great deal to learn) I am looking to spend some time in the future trying techniques that are a bit out of the ordinary, but possibly very effective when you need to get the rig right in front of them and be able to maintain that as long as you are on a strong groupe of fish. Finesse fishing- ex. I can say that I would love to be much more proficent in finding and pulling out walleyes in high water situations when the fish are in the weeds, also wing dams. There are some guys out there that are wing dam pros. Guys that will go out first thing every morning before hitting there trolling runs and hit the wing dams and really know what to look for and how to fish these dams…..Question? Do many of you frown on people anchoring above a wing dam? And if not would the dropshot, if you could figure out how to appropately weight the rig such as using a 1/2ounce river jig w/a aberdine hook and a minnow above 8-12 inches be deadly fishing these wing dams? Thanks for all of your time and info.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

Question? Do many of you frown on people anchoring above a wing dam?

It’s your river too, bud. People who frown should’ve gotten their butts out of bed earlier.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

gianni is right….
    wing dams are first come first serve… achoring above them is the BEST way to fish them usually…. and its commonly done…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.