Using Blades?

• savage_tuna
    Savage, MN

Just a quick question for you guys. I have used blades only on a very limited basis with only slight success. I have used sonars and cicada’s both. Is one or the other better? Are there a couple colors and sizes that are more productive? Also, I heard Dean mention he’d demonstrate how to properly work the bait off his dock…I guess I always assumed they were just “ripped”? ANY help would be appreciated as I am heading down to the river this week and want to give them a workout!

Thanks in advance!

Tuna

stuart
    Mn.

I use both with equal results.I dont “rip” them but give more of a pull 6to8in and let them drop back on a tight line.Colors are like any other bait,change often until you get hit.And yes Dean will show you how to do it dockside,he can set you up with any color you need. Stuart

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

My favorite color sonar on pool 8 has been, Red Head with a whitish gray body. My second is Gold/Black. Pool 8 saugers and eyes also like the Jig N Raps in Blue/Silver and Clown.

As stated, on the drop keep your line tight and hold on. They will hit it harder when it is dropping than they do on the pause!

I’m sure Dean will give you some great advise and schooling. The biggest thing when first jigging blades and steel is to, keep the faith that your presentation will catch fish.

You will also miss a lot of hits until you get down the feel. It is amazing how a fish can hit something loaded with hooks without becoming hooked but it happens often.

God luck, snapping blades and steel can be a blast

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Stuart is right on!
    Keep the blade in the “zone” as lond as possible…right near the bottom.
    Dean has a new blade made of zinc called (appropriately)the Zinco. They are the best equipped and have a real “killer” flutter to them.
    Early this week they outfished everything for the boats I talked to…

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I would add one thing to what these guys have already said.
    Consider strongly using Fireline or Power Pro when jigging blades.
    The sensitivity level is excellent with these two superlines. And since about 90% of the hits I get are on the drop, usually just before the lure hits bottom, that added sensitivity can really help.
    I fish mostly on Lake Wisconsin and blade baits can be really good this time of year. One blade that I never did any good on though was the Cicada. Sonars, Zips, Blitz’s and Wolf baits all work very well. Unfortunately, I have not seen anyone up here that carry’s any of the new blades made from Zinc. To bad, I sure would love to try them.
    The blades that I have the best luck with are the ones that vibrate with the least amount of pull.
    Blade bait are definitely a bait that every walleye fisherman should carry in his boat this time of year.

JWB

ms75449
    Lake City, MN

I used blades at the Saugerama. Colors were yellow, black and blaze orange. Orange was number 1 with yellow coming in 2nd. Usually gold works well for me… not on Saturday though.

ms75449
    Lake City, MN

Oh ya, like the others mentioned above, keep a tight line on the drop because they’ll definately smack it on the drop. If you’re not paying attention, you’ll miss them.

savage_tuna
    Savage, MN

Thanks guys for ALL your responses! My only other question would be, do you tie direct or use a small crankbait clip and what sizes are best in the current 1/4, 3/8, 1/2oz?

Tuna

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I always use #1 or #2 crosslock snap on blades. I like the 1/4oz for casting. The heavier sizes are much better for vertical jigging.

mike carey

Dustin, casting is a secret!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.