Pool 14 walleye/sauger bite

• tracker18
    DeWitt, IA

Thinking about heading to Clinton to try some walleye fishing tomorrow. Has anyone been out the last week or so? Is there any problems with ice flow? Are they biting?
    Thanks,

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

The tailwaters in that pool are closed for a couple more weeks for walleye

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

It opens on the 16th of March correct…….

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I fished 14 on Monday for a few hours. We pulled around 20 fish on the day, but many shorts. All walleyes. Saugers where being caught in the deeper holes, but what I saw it was mostly quite small fish. We had three legals and one over the slot, mostly vertical jigging super-dos in 16-24′.
    Chartruese/pepper, sherbet, and junebug all caught fish.

Watch out for ice. It may be cleared up some now, we dodged many large pieces of flow ice, and knocked a transducer loose on a small piece. Keep your eyes open!

tfuller4, you are correct. The dam is open to fishing on the 16th. Probably be a couple boats up there I bet.

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

5 of us went down to pool 14 on Sat.we caught a mixed bag of sauger and walleye,fish were biting in 27 to 30 ft. of water.We kept 7 fish,had 1 slot fish that was released and caught enough small fish to keep us interested the whole day.Fish were caught on hair jigs with meat and blade baits.

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

Is that the Davenport Dam…..or #14

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Pool 14 runs from LeClaire Iowa north to Fulton, Il. Below the davenport dam is pool 16. Between LeClaire and Davenport is pool 15. Pool 14 is still closed to fishing within a mile or so of the dam, but lots of fish down river.
    Rick, thanks for the report! Glad to hear you had a good day! Didn’t stick any of those monster spoonbills did you?

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

yea,we caught4 in our boat and the other boat must have caught 3 or 4 I hooked into a really big dog took about 15 minutes to get him in.What a blast.Sure glad we got out on Sat.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.