Pool 4 11-27

• MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I spent the last 2 days fishing pool 4 for walleyes and sauger and have been very suprised at the lack of boats on the water. I think I counted 10 rigs Tues and less today. I know I didn’t see many people catching fish one right after the other, but we were able to catch lots of nice fish both days. We didn’t start until 9-10 so we missed out on the early shallow bite. Instead, we were pulling 3-ways, 2 rods with cranks and 2 rods with phelps floaters and minnows. Tues the bite was half and half, but today it was all cranks. Clown, firetiger and black/gold Rapalas were the ticket. It seemed like the fish we saw the jiggers catch seemed to run on the small size. Our fish ran from 15″-21″. Making lots of “s” turns seemed to really trigger the fish. I’m assuming the fish were triggered by the stalling of the baits. Good luck to all those fishing this weekend. Sounds like it will be a windy one!!!

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

The S-turn idea has always worked great for me with cranks. In addition to the periodic stalling out of forward movement of a crank, I believe the erratic acceleration on the other side of the stall, really triggers fish. The other benefit, as a side, is that you cover multiple depth zones in a pass, thereby sweeping the bottom much more thoroughly than hanging to a particular break depth. The downside of the whole thing, though, is it is impossible with very many boats in the vicinity.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.