Walleye, Sauger and Saugeye Regulations?

• Turk97
    SW Metro

I can’t find anything in the MN Regulations on Saugeye. How does the DNR impose the regulations on saugeyes? We caught several fish that had all of the characteristics of a sauger except for the white tip on the tail.

Thanks!

SetTheHook
    Iowa

I’ve always wondered the same. In the past, I’ve treated them as walleyes to make sure I’d avoid any trouble.

herb
    6ft under

Not sure about inland waters, but on the Miss. the Ia. dnr treats them as walleye the last time I looked.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve been told by two different DNR personnel that a saugeye would be held to the same lengths limits we have on the walleyes.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I have always heard that for regarding regs-if it has any walleye markings at all, then consider it a walleye.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

WI regs state that all walleye (including Hybrids), saugeye, must meet the 15 inch minimum length requirement. Not sure about MN regs. While doing creel surveys in the past, I talked to a few people that said they released over 100 “saugeye”. I explained to them that they were sauger. They said, “they all had some white on their tail”. Virtually every sauger has a little white strip on the bottom of the tail. I’m with the philosophy of if you’re not sure, throw it back! The best determination in my opinion is if the fish has “distinct” black spots on the dorsal fin…..sauger. Hope this helps a little.

Turk97
    SW Metro

From MN DNR –

“The white tip means it is a Walleye, the Sauger does not have a white tip on the lower tail fin, the Walleye does. So you are catching Walleyes.”

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

Steve, I think you to be correct. If it has spots on dorsal it’s a sauger, whether it has white tip or not?? Just what is a saugeye? We had this discussion a while back about walleye and sauger but I missed out on any saugeyes. Please clarify if you can. JLK

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

A saugeye is a hybrid between the two species. Half this, half that kinda deal. They grow larger and have a heavier body than a pure bred sauger… the MN state record is just shy of 10 Lbs I believe, yet they retain some sauger characteristics too like the black spots on the dorsal, etc.

I’ve caught a ton of them and don’t have a good picture handy. Next time I get one, I’ll shoot a good photo and put it up here.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Check out this GATOR Saugeye !!! 12.84 lbs.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Holy cow!!!! Now that’s a monster I’d like to see in the net.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

The sauger don’t have a distinct white “tip”, but they DO have a distinct white “strip” on the bottom edge of the tail.

predator_2

You are right steve all saugers have a white stripe on the bottom of their tail.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.