current seam

• pittmd

I hate to expose my ignorance in such a public manner but,
    can anyone tell me exactly what a current seam is?
    Is this just a place where the fast water is moving past some back water?

fish4blue
    Holmen, WI

it’s best described as like you said faster current going passed slower current. usually vertically going down stream, but can also be horizontal. all it does is allows fish to get out from the faster current and watch bait go by without some sort of structure.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Basically like he said. It can also be faster moving water past slack water.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

One last thing is that you can literally see most vertical current seams on the surface. A tactic that has worked well for me over the last couple of years is to sit at the top (upriver) of the seam in the slow water and cast the proper weight jig/plastic into the fast water. The right cast with the right jig will get the bait to swing into slow water close to the bottom and there the fish are waiting for just such an opportunity.

Another way I’ve done well is to use my trolling motor to move upriver in the fast water while I cast into the slow water … the jig will cover the slow water area (almost always a flat) as it swings out behind the boat.

John

pittmd

Thanks all, I thought that was what everyone was talking about but didn’t know if there was some secret river lingo I don’t know yet.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Ohhhh…..It’s secret, So don’t tell anyone else!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.