Pool 5 Report

• epeterson12

Tip for anyone thinking about fishing for daytime eyes… Get a boat, or don’t go. The bite has been after 9PM consistently for the last 2 weeks. Kept a few for the family tonight & let many many others go.

A thanks to a nice gal I fished with named Lisa. I learned quite a few things tonight. Shad Rap Fire tiger #7 & clackin’ raps produced fish with suffix 832 40lb braid & power pro 20 lb super slick braid on medium to light action poles. All fish were caught in 8-12 FOW in fast current on a wing-dam from a very deep hole. A huge factor to the success was fishing a yard or two past the light from a street lamp and letting the lure sit for 10-15 secs before starting the initial retrieve. Speed, or method of fishing the lure did not make much of a difference so long as it was not completely dredging the bottom. Below are some pictures.

Biggest walleyes measured 26″, 25″, 24″, 22″, 19″, 17″. Also caught a 34″ Pike, a 16″ saugeye, and MANY other smaller pike, LM bass, sauger, walleye, & white bass.

Best fish of the night hands downs was a 12″ Flathead. 1st of the year. Give it another week and I will not be targeting anything else. P

All in all a great trip & hands down the best walleye fishing of my life. (So far..) I likely won’t be on the water this weekend, but good luck to everyone.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds like some fun fishing. Biggest fish I have seen coming off pool 2 the last few weeks have been from the shore fisherman.

epeterson12

Quote:

Flathead?????

Yup.

Hunting in less than 12″ of water. Released of course. The bite should be on. If you can get past those pesky Walleye.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Quote:

Quote:

Flathead?????

Yup.

Hunting in less than 12″ of water. Released of course. The bite should be on. If you can get past those pesky Walleye.

ARGHHHHH…….Me thinks that may be flathead “bait” matey…

epeterson12

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Flathead?????

Yup.

ARGHHHHH…….Me thinks that may be flathead “bait” matey…

I had initially thought so until I looked at the dorsal fin color and number of anal fins. Flathead have quite a few more anal fins than bullhead from what I’ve read. However, I’ve never known much about bullheads until this year.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

That’s why I can’t catch any flatheads, I’ve been using their babies for bait this whole time……AGHHHH!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.