Pool 4?

• jjknows
    WI

I’ll be heading down to pool 4 tomorrow afternoon. I’ve fished it once before with little success. I was just wondering if I should be dragging ringworms or pitching minniows tomorrow? And also should I go deep or stay in the 10-15 foot range right now. I don’t need your honey holes I’m just trying to pick up some eyes for a meal. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

CPRbigeyes
    Iowa

If you are just looking for a meal I’d vertical jig hair jigs with meat.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Jason,

the bite does change during the day, and the current is finally picking up pretty good.

I was down yesterday for a few hours with a friend for late afternoon and early evening.

The bite was slow and water visibility was 1 foot.

I’d say definitely use a minnow either on a lindy rig, or hair jig in the 20-25 foot level during the day.

An effective rig for doing both is a Carolina Rig with a hair jig and a minnow (about 3/8oz), about a 12- inch dropper from a 3-way, then about 24 inches back to a medium size wire hook and minnow hooked thru the lips.

With this rig you are limited to the 1 rod as you have 2 baits on it (mn regs)( if you are using a wisc lic it will be little bit different).

I didn’t see where you are from.

Good Luck, let us know how you do.

Jack

Anonymous

I was down there this morning. It was a zoo. Picked up 2 smaller walleyes off the tip of a wing damn. About 24ft ledge.
    Get there early. There was hundreds of boats. Still fun to be out.
    Good luck.

tbrooks11

When, typically, do the fish come in shallower for spawning? Im stuck to shore fishing for the next month or so and I have been fishing along the shore in fountain city just under the pool 5A dam… i believe. Several boats were out there today but all of them were sitting way out in the middle in much deeper water. Just looking for a little action closer to shore… has got to be soon doesnt it?!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

When, typically, do the fish come in shallower for spawning? Im stuck to shore fishing for the next month or so and I have been fishing along the shore in fountain city just under the pool 5A dam… i believe. Several boats were out there today but all of them were sitting way out in the middle in much deeper water. Just looking for a little action closer to shore… has got to be soon doesnt it?!

One time I always find em shallow, less than 2′ at times, is nighttime. Most river rats who go for eyes don’t show up till 3am in some areas and always do well where day bites are non existent.

tbrooks11

Thanks for the tip nhamm! Are they more apt to bit shallow early in the morning or late at night? I will try both eventually but gonna do one or the other tonight or tomorrow morning!!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Thanks for the tip nhamm! Are they more apt to bit shallow early in the morning or late at night? I will try both eventually but gonna do one or the other tonight or tomorrow morning!!

Both. I usually am the night guy and have good luck, but also times when I do wake up early and get to the river by sunup only to find a couple guys there have their limit already. Just have to get out and experiment yourself what works best on your water.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.