Sexing Minnows 101

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve been receiving an overwhelming amount of requests asking how to sex a minnow.

Bait dealers around the country will hate me for letting the secret out, but I’ve always been a rebel.

1. It will cut your learning curve down into a quarter of the time if you hire a master sexer to teach you the ins and outs.

2. This does not require rubber gloves and coughing.

3. This is best off done alone and in low light times, so people don’t think your strange.

4. Hamm’s is the beer of choice while sexing minnows.

5. Do not get sexing confused with sexting which requires sending photos via email or messaging. (there could be laws about this, I’m not sure)

6. Do not talk to the minnows while sexing…that’s just weird.

7. Lay each minnow on it’s back and look closely. As in the photo you can clearly see the minnow on the bottom is a female and the minnow on the top is a male.

8. Quickly get them into separate tanks. Looking at them for too long is weird also.

As you can see this is a labor intensive and somewhat uncomfortable job, which is why sexed minnows cost so much more and highly sought after.

If you find yourself looking at the photo for more then 5 minutes sexing minnows is not for you. In fact, seek medical attention.

PS Pm me, if your interested in buying the WI Back Channel Bridge.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Will it have more action if you hook a male and female together and stay alive longer??

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

Nice, BK. The smile for the day at 9:44 p.m.

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

Brian,
    Are you a bit tilted or is it something you et that makes you act like this onst in a while?

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

You look closely, you can just about see her teats.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Will it have more action if you hook a male and female together and stay alive longer??

Only if you put the male on top.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Should one throw a cigareete in the tank after sexing, nice soothe might be in order.

James Kozak

I’ve been receiving an overwhelming amount of requests asking how to sex a minnow.

Bait dealers around the country will hate me for letting the secret out, but I’ve always been a rebel.

1. It will cut your learning curve down into a quarter of the time if you hire a master sexer to teach you the ins and outs.

3. This is best off done alone and in low light times, so people don’t think your strange.

5. Do not get sexing confused with sexting which requires sending photos via email or messaging. (there could be laws about this, I’m not sure)

7. Lay each minnow on it’s back and look closely. As in the photo you can clearly see the minnow on the bottom is a female and the minnow on the top is a male.

8. Quickly get them into separate tanks. Looking at them for too long is weird also.

As you can see this is a labor intensive and somewhat uncomfortable job, which is why sexed minnows cost so much more and highly sought after.

If you find yourself looking at the photo for more then 5 minutes sexing minnows is not for you. In fact, seek medical attention.

Your picture is a little blurry, but I think you are showing what it states below. In your picture are you also trying to show a difference by the tail (the gonopodium, if they have one) or just the difference by the head?

The males of the fish will grow to between 2 – 3 inches long while the female will grow to between 1 – 2 inches in length. The male of the fish has got a dark head and also appears somewhat darker in coloration. You will also see the male featuring white to gold bars just behind the head and also beneath the dorsal fin.

The females of the fish appear brighter than the males are generally smaller in size compared to the males. A keen look at the head of the female fish and you will notice the head is also smaller in size compared to that of the male.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I think the moral of the story flew right over your head James.
    rotflol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

rotflol

Not what I expected to see this morning. Reminds me of the great walleye cheek massacre!

Interesting to know the correct way to sex a minnow…although I don’t too many fishermen care. (speaking with experience here)

waytogo

maddogg

I use only gender neutral minnows.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

That top minnow is hung like a blackwater red river channel cat!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

rotflol
    Wow!
    You can find anything on the web!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.