First time on pool 4……….help please

• competitor
    South central, mn

Hey IDO, I really respect the knowledge on this site. I am new to this site, but have been reading for a long time. I am going to try to fish pool 4 out of Red Wing for the first time. I just don’t want to do anything wrong and want to be safe. We are putting in at Bay Point Park and looking to catch some walleyes or saugers. Not looking for any secrets, just any info that could help make it a fun trip. Anything we need to look out for? Going to try jigs and minnows and plastics. Any help is appreciated!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Launch at Everts they will point you in the right direction

What he said ^^^ X2

cupspits

Agree everts for sure Steve will help or someone else lurking. Around the baitshop

TJ
    Hammond, WI

This weekend is “Saguerama” so if you plan to go to everts, get there early or avoid the 6-7:30 window. It could be a bit hectic launching the boat but if you don’t mind that, there will be lots of fishing knowledge tossed around. You just have to sort out what is legit and what is BS on tourney day. The guys who are going to troll 5 of diamonds on downriggers on the bay city flats would be in the BS category

Your best bet to catch fish is to head upstream from everts and vertical jig near the dam. Once you get up past the “Y”, there are 3 wingdams on the left that will do damage if not paying attention. You are gonna see boats headed all over the river on Sat morn however.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

This is if you were planning on fishing Saturday. Any other day…head the advice from others. Everts has the latest bite info for those of us who can’t regularly be down there to stay on top of things.

competitor
    South central, mn

Thanks Ocean! That heads up will help plan our times and give us a great idea where to go and keep us safe. We are not ready for saugerama yet. Good luck if you go!

shockers
    Rochester

My only additional tip is to echo the comments about the wing dams by the dam. AND to warn that there’s another wing dam on the MN side before you get to the Y. There’s a rock above water sort of marking it but it extends out a ways beyond that. Be careful. I saw another boat “discover” the end of the wing dam the hard way on Sunday.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Here is a map with the Wing Dams pointed out.

Good post/link there!

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

No kidding. Might have to print that out for the bait shop.

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

The map came from Navionics web site. Awesome site to do a little research while at work

Navionics web app

As others have said, a stop at Evert’s is well worth the time plus they have everything you need for bait, jigs, plastics… that you need to catch fish on the river.

Snap

Thanks for the map. Any idea why Lake Pepin is labeled just below the Y?

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

Quote:

Any idea why Lake Pepin is labeled just below the Y?

Just the way the Web App works. It labels all water between Lock 3 and Lock 4 as Lake Pepin.

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

Like stated before, everts is the place to go

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.