Cranking Bite

• TJ
    Hammond, WI

After watching the latest IDO video of speed trolling on Lake Pepin, I figured I should give it a try. I also got my 898 SI installed finally so wanted to see what that was all about as well. I was all prepared to troll the paint of my #5 shad raps but didn’t get around to trolling. I scanned around some shoreline and found a section that seemed to be holding fish…at least that is what I was interpreting on my SI. Low and behold…it was fish! Ended up keeping my limit, bringing 24 total to the boat. Sizes ranged from 13-25 for all fish…those I kept were 16-21. Perfect eaters in my book. Also caught 2 nice channels, some sheep, and a few little smallies. With the overcast weather this morning, fish were holding shallow. I would cast as close to shore as possible and slowly reel while my rap ticked the bottom. Seemed like once I got off the ledge, fish were waiting. The 3 largest fish slammed the bait from behind, only evident by an instantly limp line where I had to reel as fast as possible to get the slack out before setting the hook. All fish were caught in less than 7ft of water. SR5 in perch color took most fish and firetiger seemed to do better once the sun finally broke through. By far, my best day on the river! Side imaging is sweet and it always helps when the fish cooperate.

Snap

Nice work! Any chance of getting a screen shot of what the fish looked like on your SI?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Great report! my goal is to stash away money from now until spring to get the same graph. Would like to see a screen shot as well as I’ve never been in a boat that has it. Thanks again and nice fish, heckova day!

TJ
    Hammond, WI

I was not recording nor did I take a snapshot of it unfortunately. I recorded my last trip and forgot to put the SD card back in my unit along with the SD card in my boat camera.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

How fast were you trolling? I’m still trying to figure out the SI and DI and everything else on my new unit (switching from lowrance). I’ve only been out 2 times so far though so not much time with it yet.

oh, nice job.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

I didn’t spend anytime trolling. I was casting SR5’s into shore.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

interesting, sounds like I need to try that. Thanks for the info.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Nice job…although trolling is fun, but if you can get them castingn or pitching…even better..

flanders51

Nice work. Nice report. I am slobbering over sidescan units now.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They sound sweet and I want one too but the day the fish cannot hide will be a sad day and those with money will be the ones catching the fish. Not to mention the resource depletion. Wow, that sounded negative didnt it? Nice catch!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Nice job…although trolling is fun, but if you can get them castingn or pitching…even better..

X2

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.