crankbait suggestions

• coxaaa
    Northern IA

I spend a lot of my time casting cranks to relatively shallow water for walleye.(2-7 ft) I have always used shade raps, minnow raps, ect. With plenty of success, but I’m curious what you guys like for bigger profile baits in the same depth range?

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

husky jerks
    wally divers
    thundersticks
    bombers

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Those Smash Shads are pretty good. Cast fair into the wind. Much better than the flicker shad does. Still hard to beat a 6a bomber or Rapala DT for casting into the wind. Smithwick Super Suspending Rouges are a pretty good large profile bait to. You can also find them in deep diving, sinking, or floating.

Dont forget a good rod for casting those cranks. Just picked up a 7’6″ tidemaster from Anglers guide a few weeks ago. makes casting cranks a whole lot more fun and easy on the elbows.

rangerski
    North Metro

Mike,
    What action TM did you go with?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Its a 7’6″ medium action, moderate power. Im amazed how little effort it takes to zing even a small crank bait. Some of my old rods I would load up the rods a lot to cast. Even some to the point of breaking the line when I was really working them. Haven’t even come close to that with this rod.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

I spend a lot of my time casting cranks to relatively shallow water for walleye.(2-7 ft) I have always used shade raps, minnow raps, ect. With plenty of success, but I’m curious what you guys like for bigger profile baits in the same depth range?

Check out what Quintin Biermann is doing in SoDak with Clackin’ Raps. For those depth ranges, a size 6 Clackin’ Rap should be something to try.

Joel

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

The smash shad and flicker shad have worked well for me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.