Trolling rods for crank baits

• flanders51

I enjoyed the recent video about what rods to use for casting small crank baits. Very informative. What it didn’t mention was rod recommendations for trolling small crank baits, 3 ways, bottom bouncers, etc.

Does anybody have thoughts on best rods for trolling crank baits? Is there a good multi-use rod that can cast and troll? I ask because I had a crank bait bite going strong while trolling on pool 4 last Friday but I was using my St. Croix Avid medium light and I was not picking up the bit easily. I think the tip is a little fast and I needed more backbone. (That, or it was the cold temps, rain, wind, and frozen hands). Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

i love the limit creek trolling rods (shorties, and there longer ones)

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The 7′ 6″ is a good multi purpose rod. Good both for casting and trolling. Well long line trolling anyways. Thats the only trolling I do. The rod has a nice tip that allows the fish to suck in the cranks baits but still has enough back bone to put the hooks home. Features you want if you are trolling or casting those small to mid sized cranks.

This is the same rod blank many guys have been running for long line trolling rods for a number of years only with spinning guides on it. Think its been a few years since they made them in casting.

igotone

Quote:

i love the limit creek trolling rods (shorties, and there longer ones)

I agree with these
    I have been waitng for The 6’9″ “Smoothie” — been sold out

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

X2 on limit creek. I got one for Christmas (12 foot) and now we got 2 shorties, and 12 foot, and eventually will get another 12 foot. They are great river trolling rods at a reasonable price!

Lil Guppy
    Lake City, Mn

X3 on the Limit Creeks. I have two of the 5 foot “Runts” and I really like them.

Chode2235

I run a Eyecon 70MMH ‘bouncer’ rod as my all purpose trolling, bottom bouncing, crank bait rod.

Its got the moderate action that Dean talks about, but is a bit stouter and can handle trolling and bottom bouncing too.

Its also the same blank that St. Croix sells as their ‘graphite crank bait rod’ so it works great for casting cranks too

This is probably one of the most versatile rods I own and I use it for almost all of my crank bait activities.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Bass Pro Crankin Stick. Telescoping 7’6″. Two actions but the smaller size is very versatile and works well with size 4 and 5 raps. MH for size 7 raps and similar. I cant say enough about these rods which are not purpose built trolling rods but sure seem to be designed as such. I use accudepth line counter reels on the two I have. CS763M-T and CS763MH-T. The telescoping feature makes them easier to transport.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I run Shimano Clarus and Compre rods for longlining, bouncing, three waying, and even pulling boards. Great multipurpose rods. Have not tried casting cranks with one, but they are fairly long and have Tekota line counters on them so not really setup to cast with. I also have some eyecon rods that I longline with that work well for everything but pulling boards.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I’ve got a full set (2 12ft and 2shortys) I love all of them. So does everyone I fish with. Not many rods you can fish a wide variety of cranks on but these to the job fantastically! I’ve got longlines on the 2 12ft rods and lead on the shortys. I use them for everything involving trolling.

mnangler
    Wabasha, MN

For the price I have been more than happy with my Cabelas Depthmaster trolling rods. I have 10 of them from the 5 foot shorty up to there 8.5 footer. I have them paired with Daiwa sealines and accudepths for long line trolling and lead line trolling. Right now they are onsale for 19.99 on the Cabelas website.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.