Pool 4 to 3 via Locks

• jkonop
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Well, whenever I am down on Pool 4, I have never tried making the trip up though the lock to Pool 3. So my biggest questions, is how does that work? Do you need anything, pass, ticket or just boat on up when the lock is in operation? Also, is it done frequently to chase walleyes, and if is, is it work the time to move up?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Might not want to try that unless there’s a jet boat involved.

I’ll be back with a link to locking info shortly.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Link<

PS Pool 3 is a dead sea.

wannaplay

On a similar note, I made the run down the Wisconsin channel on Sunday. We made it through to the river where it dumps in at Lake Pepin. We encountered 1.5′ of water for one small streach about halfway through. The Eagles were everywhere. Some very interesting holes of water, but didn’t see anything on the sonar.

brandonprasnicki

really? we tried it and got stuck! we had to rock our way out! be careful! I think we had about 6 inches.

What side of that sand bar did you navigate? We were about 4/5ths the way on the right…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Might not want to try that unless there’s a jet boat involved.

would be faster to trailer up and put back in on P3 than making that run!

-J.

wannaplay

i was hugging the right side…if you remember where the Eagles were perched on the tree leaning over the water, and in the middle of the channel was shallow with logs sticking up…everything past that was 6+ deep. My boat will run in 1.5’…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The only issue with the lock is commerce/barges take precedence. You may get through quickly but then have to wait hour(s) to get back. Been there. Done that.

jkonop
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Very helpful…Thanks All…

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Quote:

On a similar note, I made the run down the Wisconsin channel on Sunday. We made it through to the river where it dumps in at Lake Pepin. We encountered 1.5′ of water for one small streach about halfway through. The Eagles were everywhere. Some very interesting holes of water, but didn’t see anything on the sonar.

This whole statement begs so many questions… rather than question ill just wonder……

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

If you really want to fish Pool 3 it might be a better option to launch from Prescott and run down river. Pool 3 has a lot of wing dams so be carefull. In my experience, Pool 4 is so vast that there is no need to run through the lock unless you just want the expereince of locking through.

redneck
    Rosemount

If you launch on Pool 3 you always can lock through to Pool 4. I have done this many times when I needed a certain hook or plastic bait. Lock through and Everts is right there to supply anything you might need when it comes to fishing. If nothing else you can grab a cold drink and BS a bit and hope the afternoon bite picks up

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.