Shinners Dead?

• jjknows
    WI

I was on Pool 5 last Thursday and their were a crap ton of shinners that were either dead or swimming around in circles almost dead. I was just wondering why this is and also if its going to hurt the walleye fishing if this is happening? Just a little curious.

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

Maybe should have picked up a few and called the DNR.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Pretty common sight this time of year. Just a spring die off.

-J.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

They’re actually gizzard shad and like Jon said, its very common this time of the year as well as in late fall and anytime a serious cold snap hits in the winter.

They don’t take cold snaps well. (thermal shock)

Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

nick from the dnr said on pool 4 the die off last year was very small in comparison to normal years and thats why walleye fishing for alot of folks was slow last year the system was LOADED with gizzard shad so for us walleye guys the gizzard shad dying off is a good thing for catch rates! there are more than enough gizzard shad in the sytem that all will be fine!

jjknows
    WI

Thank you! Yeah I’m pretty much a newbie at this whole early season Walleye fishing and I didn’t see that at all last year. Of course last year was a little strange!! It was just a little strange seeing all those shad dead but I guess I know why now!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.