River conditions?

• pittmd

With all the rain we have been having is there a lot floating timber? I hope to get out this coming weekend and I don’t want to spend my day snaging world record maple fish.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Which pool you headed to? The answer regarding river conditions will change drastically from the pools up north to the pools further south in IA.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Pool 3 dos’nt have much floating debris, Although there are the occasional logs you don’t see till the last second. Brewers cut has a ton of water going through it and so does Buffalo slew. Did’nt check Miley’s but I’d imagine that would be the same.

Engelworm
    River Falls, Wisc.

Fished pool 3 Monday morning 5/24. Not much at all for debris. Fishing was Good also. 0630-0930AM we boated 15 Walleyes.(2 of us) 12 eaters. About half on crawlers, half on Raps. Didn’t see another boat this morning. Kinda cool, but they are a bitin. Now is the time to be hittin it! I’ll be there again in the AM, you can’t beat fun!

pittmd

Thinking about pool 4 for this coming weekend.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Down here on 16 the flow is 140,587, nearing flood stage and a forest of timber floating down. It’s not very safe to be out here now. If anyone around here is planning to go out, wear your life jackets and take it very slow.

John
    West Liberty, Iowa

We had 6″ + in Guttenburg last weekend, looked like you could walk across the river, with all the junk going down river. Never seen that much in 25 years on the river.

The real question will be where to find some slow water this weekend. L/D 10 at 106,000 + and I’m out of 1/2lb sinkers , not sure where, but I’ll be there ! Any suggestions, anyone ??

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Looking at the corps website, it appears they opened her up at Guttenberg sometime late on Saturday, and then again at Lynxville sometime thereafter; but it appears they closed her up on Dam 9 earlier today.
    It sounds like from pool 11 on down it might be messy; but I wonder if pool 10 and 9 are still fishable? A lot of the heavy rains were localized. Anyone been out on 9 or 10? With more rain forecast this weekend, I am debating making it a short work day tomorrow, but I’m not sure how far north I need to go to avoid the rising waters. If you read the corps flow data, 9 and 10 should be OK, but eye-witness info is always best…and greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The water’s up over 1.5 feet and expected to continue to rise slowly. Debris is not an issue and clarity is good for the time of year and considering flow.

Water levels shouldn’t impact your trip here in any way that I can think of. In fact, as the water’s have come up, the fishing’s picked up.

Quote:

Thinking about pool 4 for this coming weekend.

FallingRock1
    Eastman Wi

They put the gates back in the water this afternoon at Lynxville.The water ios still dirty but I have heard of some luck so I think I’ll get out tommorow and find out on pool 9

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.