River Report – 12/ 29

• scott-k
    Red Wing

It was 2:23 this afternoon. Kids were playing. Dog napping. The thermometer read 24 degrees…balmy for winter river fishing in the boat. Grabbed the gear and headed for the barn to hook up the boat.

Called Mark on the phone. He was in. I told him I had all the plastics, jigs, and rods. Just wear warm clothes.

Met him downtown Red Wing at 2:45. Oooops…forgot the boat seats, plastics, jigs, and no food.

We figured a plan would come together at Everts. Once again, Steve pointed us to this and that plastic and jigs.

Tim Miller watched us swoop in with all kinds of problems. I asked if he wanted to go along for the short trip. He had shorts on. He dashed for the truck and got some clothes, Steve lent him a rod, and he grabbed some plastics and jigheads.

We were off.

Mark hammered saugers right away on black/orange one-eye. Some were small; some were keepers. Tim was HOT HOT HOT on the orange head with green/orange core ringworm. He made it look easy.

Me–very few.

They had doubles. Singles. They laughed at the fish. They cheered. Me–I drove the boat around…

Pleasantly, we caught nearly as many walleyes too. Mark lost a 20 inch walleyes trying to hoist it in the boat. Rookie.

At dark, I tied on the voodoo (purple/black head) with small peanut butter moxie. Slid in to 13 fow. BANG! Two nice eyes.

Cold crept in with the dark…eight fish went home. A bunch went back to the river.

We did a drive-by at the boat landing trying to stir up the ice flows by the landing…kinda worked.

Got out of the water without anybody slipping. For not even a three hour tour, it was grand! Turkeys, whistlers, eagles, mallards…man, I love open water in the winter!

Carved ’em up–check out the FOUR INCH shad in that sauger!

Get out there and take Tim with you!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Scott looks like you guys had a nice short outting

How come no pics of Tim Miler with fish?

Thanks for the report

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Very nice report

Thought about going down there today but the cold weather kept me away…Glad somebody was brave enough to go today

scott-k
    Red Wing

Tim unhooked fish so fast and tossed them back that I had no time for a pic. Sorry Tim! I should have had the camera at ready. Next time I will know how to be ready for you!

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

Tim unhooked fish so fast and tossed them back. Next time I will know how to be ready for you!

..NO ONEONE NOS HOW TO BE READY FOR TIM” ‘.LOL…rrr

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I’m surprised Tim actually changed out of his shorts!

One Eyes, jigs n plastics…sounds like a dream trip to me!

maurice

Great report–sure beats the ice

scott-k
    Red Wing

Yeah, no kidding. Went ice fishing today and chip-sized crappie and sunnies. Much rather be in the boat.

Tom-

I think Tim still had his shorts on…I didn’t ask and he didn’t show!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just talked with a friend coming off the river. Largest was a 27 and didn’t catch a fish after 7 pm. Dragging was the ticket for him.

I’ll let him add the details, if he likes.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Nice seeing you again Brian. I got on the water about 3:00 p.m. and fished until about 8:30 p.m. I ended up with about 10 walleyes. A little before sunset I tried pitching but the upstream wind made that somewhat difficult so I switched to dragging jigs upstream along some rip rap. That bite seemed good but as soon as it got real dark, a bunch of frozen foam formed and blew into the shore I was dragging which put an end to that. I went back to where I started the evening and luckily the wind had died down and I picked up a few more which included a 25″ and a 27″.

All fish were caught on a firecracker/chart. tail 4″ Moxie on a 3/16 oz jig. I tried fishing with braid but it was just too cold and icing was a big problem so I went with 6 lb mono.

The water temperature was 33.8 F and I think the air temperture was about 20 F when I pulled out.

Boone

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.