questions for the boaters

• wall3y3chaser

HI everyone Im a newbie to the site but ive always come here for tips. I was just wondering as a shore fisherman if you on a boat have seen any nice shore fishing areas that i may not have been to? in case you were wondering i do not own a boat but i have pretty good luck off shore! this year all ive really fished is the mississippi river pool 2 and i love it because of the variety of fishing avaliable , however i have fished near the marina at the culvert a couple miles down from the ford damn and ussually fish off of raspberry island in downtown saint paul with pretty good fish coming off the main channel side of the island from eyes to smallies and the occasional sheep head hitting a crankbait who would have thought!!!!! But i was just wondering if any one knew the depths of the river at these places so i can get a good idea of where these fish might be, like i said no boat, one day will get one but for now im fine from the shore its been an amazing year for me with the number of walleye ive been able to get from shore in these spots! Thanks for reading and for any insight on any of my questions are greatly appreciated! From a shore fisherman to the boater keep your poles up! Also where are the smallies hiding at i would really like to get a big one if anyone has an idea for me thanks for reading!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Getting any big walleyes off those spots? From the boat they both look like big fish spots for this time of year.

10-12′ deep in front of the culvert by water gate with rocks scattered in the area.

Very deep off the channel side of Raspberry Island. Think it drops right down to 20 and then gets deeper. The stairs on the down river side of the island have a nice bar sticking out towards the bridge. Sure looks like a nice feeding shelf to me.

wall3y3chaser

Yeah decent size walleyes 16- 22 a few smaller smallmouths looking for the monster, thanks for the depth info its very helpful ive fished those two spots this past season not knowing how deep it really is mostly relying on my crankbaits to get a idea of how deep it is, just last week i was fishing off the boat clubs pier there using a beetle spinner tipped with a powerbait leech i have to say those are amayzing in the first 20 min 3 walleye 2 in the 24 inch range and a smaller one and a few smallies nothing to be proud of but i love catching them when i do which isnt a whole lot, besides powerbait its the moxies which catch me alot of crappies recently actually some nice one, but i was there this morning till about 230 and not one damn bite! But earlier this spring i was getting some nice eyes at the culvert when the water was high which makes that spot a real nice shore fishing spot, most of the other anglers there are there for carp and cats when they seen me pull out walleyes they were amazed!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sure cant complain about a couple of 24″ walleyes. Right now most of my walleyes are keying in on any type of rock. Low light pitching plastics. Give a spot a few minutes and move on. Sometimes its just a matter of being there when they move up to feed and then they are gone again.

Think if I was shore fishing I would set up a milk run of spots just like fishing from the boat. Go hit them real kick and unless they keep loading up with fish move on. Maybe come back later and hit them again.

wall3y3chaser

By the way nice pics of those fish thats amazing i really want those bigger ones , they really make a beautiful picture! Im the type to fish allday if i catch one fish then im a happy camper! Do u know if the walleye stay deeper or do the come in to shallower water to feed?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

They come up shallow this time of year to feed.

Check out the shore lines along this park. Kaposia Landing Off-Leash Dog Park‎
    South St. Paul, MN 55075

wall3y3chaser

thanks i may try that tomorrow do i just park in the parking lot there! Is this a walley spot?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.