pool 5

• mr. sauger25

Hi im heading down to the alma area next week for a work meeting and thought i might as well take the boat never fished that area before could share some pool 4 info as ive been down there 8 times this winter what im really looking for is a big fish quanity is no big deal any info would be great thanks

riverking
    se iowa

i would check out the past two weeks posts in this forum on Alma/pool 5 there is a lot of good info for you to go on. in short dragging ringworms right across from the ramp up to the dam and pulling jig/minnow combos up at the dam and drifting down the main channel were putting fish in the boat.

mr. sauger25

thanks river king guess your the only one with a little help anyway you say right across from boat landing is this the landing in town its been 10 years since ive been through alma is there a bait shop around

jeremyschreiner

The Landing is on the very south end of town by the feed mill. Yes there is a bait shop right across the road. Randy or myself will be glad to help you. The last post I made was from thursday. I have only made it out once since. That was on sunday, its been so windy, pushed guys away. I had equipment trouble all morning. Caught plenty when I got things straitened out for the afternoon. My buddy had one a fuzz over 11lbs. He said he would post it??? I took a pic of another friend with a 28.25 weighed 8.5-9lbs. I will post that pic tmrw, as I forgot the camera in boat… Fishing has been very good. The vertical bite is day to day yet, cranks are day to day also, but draging/pitching has been the best ive seen in 3 years. I put some info in other posts. Here is a couple tips…. Dont forget the water has gotn dirty, may have pushed fish shallower.(: (: (: We seldom fish over 12′, maybe 14 at times. Sunday was the first trip in 9 outings we didnt put at least a 7 pounder in the boat, 6 of those outings we put at least 1 big gal over 8lbs or bigger in the boat, all RELEASED. the biggest was 11lbs 4 oz. Pics of these fish are on previous posts. Last time we camera food was still no where to be found and fish are mostly scattered. Best advice from the other guys and myself who have been on 5 allot is to stay on the move, pull break-lines, seams, same as you would elsewhere. Im hoping to get out tomorrow, well I will because ive got trips on Thurs, sat, and Sunday. I will keep making reports, at least a couple per wk from the guys at 5 and myself for those of you interested. Another tip, Something I see boats around me doing continuously is fisherman are “dragging” to heavy of jigs. ??? Way too focused on hard line, soft line, speed, colors etc instead of (#1 making sure the jig is in the zone) Strike zone!…. You could put T-bone steak to a walleye in the river, if you don’t put it in the “zone” its not gonna get bit! In my opinion “dragging” should be called (swimming) I truly believe more would understand the concept. The guys were dragging their jigs thru the sand, not getting bit… VS. slowly swimming the jig over their head = WACK!!!!!!!!! I understand there are times when they turn on by banging bottom, but not lately. Food for thought….. Hope to have another report tmrw, Good fish’n folks!!!

mr. sauger25

thanks jeremy prob see ya saturday or sunday btw how much for a guide trip

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Thanks Jeremy for the update, nice wright up on dragging you have a way with words, eerrr should I say Walleyes

jeremyschreiner

Hi Mr Sauger, I’m not sure how to answer this? I slipped when I mentioned Guide trips. As far as no marketing a business under a personal name. Sorry, Hmmmm? I,m not sure how to clean this up? How do you private message??? Its got to be in front of my nose…..

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Mr. Sauger,

I fished pool 5 yesterday with some success but others I spoke to did not have any success at all. We caught some walleye shallow dragging ringworms and paddletails in 3/16 ounce jigs but that was a tough presentation while fighting the high winds. There was a vertical jig bite in the main channel but the fish were really scattered. We caught some in 18-25′ but we were trying to stay on the shallow side – I can tell you that when we got towards 30′ on some of the drifts there were a fish there too but they are usually smaller and so we tried to avoid those areas – besides the mortality rates. We saw a mix of walleye and sauger throughout the day and all were caught on jig & plastics.

Good luck if you make it out.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

How do you private message??? Its got to be in front of my nose…..

Click on the user name to the left of the post and it will pull up the user profile. At the bottom of the profile is a select for sending a private message.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

…or if you’re responding to a PM someone sent you, you should see an alert at the top/right of the screen if you’re logged in, and just clikc on that, or go to My Home, and click on received messages.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.