Taxidermist recommendations?

• huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Got a big girl last night! Wish Everts would have been open and she would still be swimming…… Anyway this will be my first mount whos the best?

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Dean’s Glitter Jigs Horrible picture, of me that is!

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

Great job!! That is definetly a river HOG! Were you pitching or dragging last night?

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

i know most musky guys go2 LAX taxidermy if they get a TRUE trophy. don’t want2 give your trophy2 the wrong person…may be worth it2 bite the bullet and pay a bit more money.

btw nice fish and congrats!

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Quote:

don’t want2 give your trophy2 the wrong person…may be worth it2 bite the bullet and pay a bit more money.

Isnt that the truth, paying a little more is worth it when your gonna be looking at the mount for quite a few years!

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

get a hold of member Jack Naylor
    he does great work
    all of mine
    shoot him a PM
    I’m sure he will chime in soon
    great fish

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Dragging, not a lot of fish but this one made up for the low numbers.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

GREAT FISH !!!! Is that your PB ??

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Tim’s Taxidermy Lake Mills Ia. (22 miles SW of Albert Lea MN)
    $7.50/Inch is what he currently charges

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

john’s just south of hastings does very good work with fish. run out there and look at his stuff, see if it is up to par for you.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Yes, PB. I knew if I put my time in down there it would eventually give me a big one. It’s not the 14lber I was hoping for but still a monster pre spawner. I haven’t weighed it yet, no scale but it was 29.75″. Now I need to get the high water period figured out! I get my butt kicked when it’s flooded….. Wish I could have released it and got a replica made but in the dark and snowing good pictures and measurements were out of the question. Should have kicked the door in at everts… Is there never anyone there anymore?

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

Quote:

john’s just south of hastings does very good work with fish. run out there and look at his stuff, see if it is up to par for you.

shop 651-437-0287
    cell 651-308-9044

washburn
    Aitkin Mn

I agree, pay the extra for a great painter. I got 2 done a few years back and they look decent but have seen a lot better for a buck or two more per inch than what I paid. Elich (sp)? In grand rapids is a great one for fish. Great fish btw

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

What time were you trying to get in???

Mark

starvin pilgrim

Bear Valley Taxidermt, Mazeppa.Brian Hein,507 696 3472 507 843 4386. He does excellent fish work and for very reasonable prices.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

8:20maybe. Just seems dead there all the time and in the past it seemed like there was always someone around. I’m not pissed or anything. I just really wanted to release it and figured I could have gotten all the pictures and measurements if they would have been open. After the wisconsin channel launch last night they are the best bet for launching right now. Wow that baby drops off quick, the back of the boat goes under while loading. Came over my splashwell. Good job to whoever is salting and sanding there though. It was ice free even during the snow last night.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Not sure why Evert’s being open would have made a difference — picture looks great. Anyhow, good luck finding the right taxidermist. My advice is to look at their work first, then hand your fish over.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

I second Johns! He paints a mean walleye Congrats

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

I just really wanted to release it and figured I could have gotten all the pictures and measurements if they would have been open.

Quote:

Take a measurement of the length from tip of the tail to tip of the mouth. Take a measurement of the girth (around the fish at the largest point).

Most people don’t carry a flexible tape measure with them but there is a way to do it using fishing line.
    A. Stretch a piece from head to tail and cut it at exact point.
    B. Wrap a piece around the fish at largest point and cut where they intersect.
    Save pieces until you get use of a tape measure and measure the two pieces to get length x girth. A good quality picture is also very important.

I always have a cloth measuring tape in the boat for that very reason. I stole mine from my wife’s sewing kit. Nice fish though!

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

[. Good job to whoever is salting and sanding there though. It was ice free even during the snow last night.

..THANKS.. ………..rrr

drew-evans
    rochester MN

Quote:

Quote:

don’t want2 give your trophy2 the wrong person…may be worth it2 bite the bullet and pay a bit more money.

Isnt that the truth, paying a little more is worth it when your gonna be looking at the mount for quite a few years!

X3 i recomomend Toms Taxidermy in Clarks Grove, just north of albert lea on 35W, he is by far the best hands down that i have ver seen!

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Johns it is, close to home checked out his stuff looks great. Can’t wait to get it back. Thanks for all the input. Extra thanks to RRR for helping me keep the truck out of the river on that ramp.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Next time I see the boat at mr sippi I’ll swing in and buy a round.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I just really wanted to release it and figured I could have gotten all the pictures and measurements if they would have been open.

Quote:

Take a measurement of the length from tip of the tail to tip of the mouth. Take a measurement of the girth (around the fish at the largest point).

Most people don’t carry a flexible tape measure with them but there is a way to do it using fishing line.
    A. Stretch a piece from head to tail and cut it at exact point.
    B. Wrap a piece around the fish at largest point and cut where they intersect.
    Save pieces until you get use of a tape measure and measure the two pieces to get length x girth. A good quality picture is also very important.

Measuring in the boat was out of the question. I never though about using line though. Keep in mind it was dark, I had a 1/2″ of snow in the boat and frozen fingers. I’m going to have to get a fabric tape for the boat, and a scale. I spent like 10 minutes with it in the net in the water debating what to do. Keeping it was the only option of getting anything close to what the actual size was.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Without a doubt John’s Taxidermy in Hastings. No one knows the coloration of a River fish more than John. I used to send a lot of guide customers his way and I have NEVER heard a complaint. I have may of his fish on my walls.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Dean’s Glitter Jigs Horrible picture, of me that is!

Beautiful fish. Eat her. Then call Matt at Artistic Anglers and have him make you a replica. Artistic Anglers

Congrats on that monster.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

You could always call Chuck Testa.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

You could always call Chuck Testa.

NOPE!

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Glad I didn’t try measuring that night. John just called little over 30″ 12lbs.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.