Walleye setup(line,leader,swivel size)

• 507eli

Hoping I can get some recommendations on line,swivel size, and quick clips that I should look into. My wife surprised me with a trip to LOTW next week and i have to place an order for tackle today to get everything in time. I usually just tipup fish for pike so not very familiar. Appreciate any advice people have to offer.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Get a decent ML rod or take this chance to get one nice rod. I use nothing but 6lb line, I still use mono on mine, can do a small swivel and a flouro leader the length of the rod and sometimes I us a speed snap to make changing lures easier. Gold, red or gold and red work best for me. Have fun hope you get to have one of those 100 fish trips. Expect lots of dink saugers and reel them up slow so you can get em back down the hole. Probably have you set up over 30ft of water this time of year.

ekruger01

I use the VMC Crank bait snaps in a 0 & 00, and the Rolling swivels in the 10 &12 size.

On my active jigging rods I run either 6lb braid (inside rods) or 6lb flouro (outside rods) to a swivel then a 2ft leader of 6lb flouro on both to the snap.

On my deadsticks I run 6lb mono all the way to the swivel, and flouro leader to the hook. Mainly because I pre make a bunch of leaders for the deadsticks early in the year and make them while setting up my jigging rods.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

The suggestions above are great.

But you said the trip is next week.

Load up whatever gear you have with new 6 lb test. Use your favorite brand, whatever you currently have or what is available at your nearest retailer.

I often find myself worrying about the details and forget to enjoy the trip. Relax and enjoy!

507eli

Thanks! Definitely going to relax and try not to overthink it. I already have some 6lb mono and swivel barrels. I guess the only question I have left is about the fluorocarbon leader that I want to give a try. Not sure if I should go with flouro fishing line or the flouro leader material like the seaguar blue label?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks! Definitely going to relax and try not to overthink it. I already have some 6lb mono and swivel barrels. I guess the only question I have left is about the fluorocarbon leader that I want to give a try. Not sure if I should go with flouro fishing line or the flouro leader material like the seaguar blue label?

For your situation the fluoro line is fine. If I’m around active pike I use leader material

Onthewater

Fluorocarbon isn’t mono. Pay attention to your knots. Tie a bad one or don’t wet your line it’s likely to break.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

X2 on snap and swivel size. 0 or 00 VMC snap 10/12 swivel

507eli

For your situation the fluoro line is fine. If I’m around active <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike I use leader material
    [/quote]

Is there any reason to not go with leader material for my situation besides price? Thanks

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

For your situation the fluoro line is fine. If I’m around active <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike I use leader material

Is there any reason to not go with leader material for my situation besides price? Thanks
    [/quote]

Like others have said the “leader material” will obviously be tougher and help in the event that you would be in areas where pike would be more prevalent. For your trip and lake of the woods that should not be the case you will be mainly running into sauger and walleye so regular line for leader will be fine. Of course it is up to you. If you think that going forward you would walleye fish more then maybe an investment after the trip and at that time would be wise.

For your tip as others have said some type of mainline super line tied to a swivel with 6-8 pound fluro leader will do the trick for indoors. If your outside jigging then 6-8 pound mono is great and you don’t really need a swivel and leader but that will reduce line twist for your baits.

I would imagine that you will want to bring some type of dead stick too for inside the shack if your sleeping on ice. You could use one of those rods for that as well. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the trip. Should be lots of action that is what LOW is known for.

Plenty of info on baits that work up there if you watch videos.

507eli

Thanks. I feel much better about the trip now. My buddy is borrowing me his finicky foolers to use as our deadsticks,excited to finally give them a try. Does anyone think it’s worth while for us to run a tipup with sucker even though we will be out in 30 ft of water?

Ripjiggen

Yeah don’t over think it. 6-8lb mono.
    Leader isn’t necessary. Simple bobber set up with minnow as your second rod.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

Glow red buck shots. Our guide said that’s all he uses.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.