Walk through windshield clamp

• richsn
    SE/NW WI

I just bought a used boat that has a walk through windshield. My previous boats all had bubbles.

I’ve seen pictures of clamps that guys use to hold the center portion of the windshield in the open position.

Is that a specific type/brand of clamp, or…???

What are recommendations?

ALSO, had different people telling NOT to run the boat with the swing portion of windshield closed in place or it could break from flexing.

YES/NO/Urban Myth???

THANKS

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Menards, Home Depot, Fleet Farm anywhere that sells tools will have a spring clamp that will work. If you run with the windshield closed be sure you turn the little latch. Broken boat windshields are big bucks.

Smellson

Not to highjack the thread, but I’ve never understood why guys use a clamp. Is it just to make sure the windshield doesn’t catch the wind and blow shut? Guess I’ve never had that issue but I also don’t spend a ton of time with it open either.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Yes, both wind and rogue waves that you hit.

snelson223
    Austin MN

Wind will definitely blow them closed. You could do a clamp or get an awning place to do a strap and snap.

I suppose it could break if you hit some big waves. I’ve seen a couple of windshields move and come out of the bottom track they were in.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

ALSO, had different people telling NOT to run the boat with the swing portion of windshield closed in place or it could break from flexing.

YES/NO/Urban Myth???

What is the sense in having a full windshield if you are going to run with it open?

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

The windshields are designed to be closed when running. You are asking for trouble leaving them open and you won’t get too hot if that’s what you’re afraid of. Just open up again when you get to your destination.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

…get an awning place to do a strap and snap.

Or do it yourself. My SIL did one for their boat last summer (and she’s not real handy). I’ll probably make one for mine this summer.

hottoddytipup
    Crystal

We always run ours closed. Once on Gull we popped the glass out of the frame after hitting a big wave. Other than that its been good and never had issues. We use a irwin hand c-clamp with rubber feet to keep it open while fishing. Nice to not have to worry about it blowing shut and being able to freely walk around the boat.

we run a crestliner sportfish

welliou

If you have ever been sitting in the bow seat on a windy day and had the wind blow the door closed on your back, you will want a clamp soon after.

Adam Steffes

Have a buddy who had a pole broken by his windshield blowing shut while fishing in a decent wind. I have had mine slam shut but now I remember to close it. I think the manufacturer should have provided a retention method that just automatically grabs the center section when you open it to prevent the accidents

richsn
    SE/NW WI

YES/NO/Urban Myth???

What is the sense in having a full windshield if you are going to run with it open?

Yeah, exactly my thought, which is why I asked the question here after being told that.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

YES/NO/Urban Myth???

Aluminum boat in rough water, agree. You can pop glass out of the trim or have the middle widow pop toward the rear due to hull flex. (Major PIA to get back in place) Or just bust up mounting screws.

Glass boat, not so much.

-J.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.