Wake makers

• dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Nothing wrecks a peaceful day of fishing like these wake makers.

Becoming a pretty common sight these days.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Yes. Pwc’s and recreational boats should be illegal.

Or, anchoring while fishing should be illegal. They get in the way of the wake makers.

Imo, we all share the water. If these were to cause shoreline damage, sure there should be some thought about preventing it. Otherwise, there are already laws in place to protect us fishermen from annoying waves.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Are you a lake surfer?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Give me 3 foot waves and i’ll find a way to fish through it while i watch the rest of you gripe and go home.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Imo, we all share the water.

Right on. We’re all just trying to enjoy the water. I fish. I ski. I wakeboard/wakeskate. I stand-up paddleboard. I’ve been know to ride a PWC. I haven’t wake surfed yet, but I’d love to.

There are jerks in every sport, but for the most part, everyone is just trying to have a good time. You might not understand why they’re surfing near you, but they probably don’t understand why you’re fishing where you are.

Brett Erickson
    Maple Grove,MN

I love to fish like everyone on here, but lets be honest… messing around on a jet ski is one of the finer pleasures in life

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I love to be outdoors doing anything on the water, yes fishing is my favorite and slowly taking up more and more of my outdoor time, but tubing, swimming, jet-skiing, etc. are all great fun. I’d love to give that wake-surfing a try sometime! There’s a few bad apples everywhere that can ruin experience, and a lot of water that is not being covered to go enjoy fishing or boating in.

Rob92761
    La Crosse WI

this is why a like fishing from October to March the water temps are to cold. in the summer month go out super early and in by noon. then the pleasure boats can go have their fun

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Are you a lake surfer?

I’d love to give it a try before I get too old. I used to wakeboard behind my fish hawk.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Any stories about wake boarders stabbing another to death up there?

blackbay
    mn

Nope, marijuana makes people all mellow dude.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>

Nope, marijuana makes people all mellow dude.

I believe I read a report that weed was involved in that altercation.
    I do not Muskie fish but do keep a Muskie rod and bucktail handy just In case someone gets a little close. Never got to set the hook but have sent the bucktail inches behind the skiers knees. chased

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>
    Imo, we all share the water.

Right on. We’re all just trying to enjoy the water. I fish. I ski. I wakeboard/wakeskate. I stand-up paddleboard. I’ve been know to ride a PWC. I haven’t wake surfed yet, but I’d love to.

There are jerks in every sport, but for the most part, everyone is just trying to have a good time. You might not understand why they’re surfing near you, but they probably don’t understand why you’re fishing where you are.

X2! There’s a few wake surfers on our lake, it’s fun to watch! Many ways to enjoy the water other than fishing. We do a lot of skiing and tubing. I’ve never had much of a problem with jet skiers, they’re usually in the middle of the lake doing they’re thing. Jet skis are a lot of fun.
    I’ve been annoyed more by other anglers than anything else.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Never got to set the hook but have sent the bucktail inches behind the skiers knees.

I sure hope you’re kidding.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

And that’s the beginning of situations where people end up getting stabbed.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

And thus proving…

Wake Boarder > Fishermen toast

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>IceAsylum wrote:</div>
    Never got to set the hook but have sent the bucktail inches behind the skiers knees.

Not a joke. After the first time buy on the second time buy I lift the rod up so it can be seen, Third time buy I am holding bucktail in one hand rod in the other held out so it can be seen, Forth time buy bucktail is in flight. If they would happen to find the bucktail I have to believe they have broken the law by not keeping there buffer zone. Usually the point is made on second or third pass and I am sure they see me both driver and skier before we have to really push the issue. I am not out to ruin anyones fun I just expect the same courtesy back. If this all makes me a bad person I will ware thee title.

desperado

Uh, don’t you need a buncha ballast water in the boat to create that?
    Annnd, doesn’t that increase the chances of carrying/spreading AIS ?
    Hmmm, I wonder if they’re being targeted for inspections whistling

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>IceAsylum wrote:</div>

Not a joke. After the first time buy on the second time buy I lift the rod up so it can be seen, Third time buy I am holding bucktail in one hand rod in the other held out so it can be seen, Forth time buy bucktail is in flight. If they would happen to find the bucktail I have to believe they have broken the law by not keeping there buffer zone. Usually the point is made on second or third pass and I am sure they see me both driver and skier before we have to really push the issue. I am not out to ruin anyones fun I just expect the same courtesy back. If this all makes me a bad person I will ware thee title.

The fact that you run into this situation often enough to keep a rod in your boat for it and have a system down for it and a large enough sample size to know how many passes it takes to make point known is a little worrisome to me. I must fish be fishing the wrong (or right) spots to rarely run into a problem.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I do not Muskie fish but do keep a Muskie rod and bucktail handy just In case someone gets a little close. Never got to set the hook but have sent the bucktail inches behind the skiers knees.

I sincerely hope for your sake, if you ever hook up, that you have a good lawyer and deep pockets. A “ruined” afternoon might turn into a ruined few years of your life.

desperado

Paint ball gun accomplishes two goals at once.
    Let’s the inconsiderate boat driver know when he’s too close.
    And marks the hull for your fellow boaters to see that one has already been tagged as such.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

There is to much thought being put into this. It breaks down to common courtesy. I am a firm believer in that no one owns any part of the water or can lay claim to it, open water or ice. I have only let the lure fly a couple of times in 30 years. Don’t know how many times I have showed the rod. I am out long before they show and do not set up where they are. I give them that courtesy and just expect the same back.

desperado

Don’t worry too much about the IceAsy bucktails guys, I’m sure he files the barbs off first

folke2000

Geez….I don’t think that I could allow myself to get that worked up as to “throw a lure” at the legs of a water skier. Life is just to short. Yes there are going to be inconsiderate people that tick you off, but the trick is not letting their actions dictate a response that will negatively impact me. There is honor in taking the high road.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

I use one of these. smash
    They are not the most accurate things I have to say. While aiming at the transom of the boat I hit the transom of the wife. Then the chase is on. Ive gotten prety fast at pulling anchor.

Attachments:
    1. 492497858986_1422112889.jpeg

Rob92761
    La Crosse WI

my boys got ticket a few years back, for waking a boat,just got to close, He said they did see boat until it was to late, and the only did it once after that they were aware of the boat so stayed away. the fishing boat took their numbers turned them into warden. Warden came to his house to issue ticket.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.