Vexilar Proview Transducer

• Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Has anyone used this transducer and can give me some feedback? My tri-beam transducer took a crap (they had issues with these) so they exchanged it for the new proview. I have not had a chance to use it yet but wondering if anyone can comment on the performance of it, particularly in the 10′ or less range as this is where i fear it might perform the weakest. I don’t fish alot at that depth range but i want it to work. I understand low power mode can help in shallower depths. Thanks in advance.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I highly recommend watching this before you decide.

I’ve used mine on my FLX28 and don’t really have enough experience to comment. I was using large darting lures that were going well outside the cone in shallow water. The lure appeared very large on the screen and was well outside the cone for much of my outing.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Way more to it than I realized, that was a very interesting video. I have a new 28 ready to try also. Thanks Biggill

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Good Lord! That’s 26 minutes and 28 seconds of my life I’ll never get back. But a great vid.

crappieguy

I picked up a used 22HD last year, and the first thing I did was swap it for a proview. No real reason why, just figured it the 28’s our outfitted with it, Vexilar must view it as a better ducer.

Only difference I’ve really seen between my buddies 22HD with a tri-beam, I have to switch to low power in shallow water.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Yeah i have watched the video and spoke directly with the guy in the video at vexilar.

Biggill – did you put it in low power mode?

Someone on here has got to have used it shallow. I’m going to try to slip out tonight after work and see how well it picks up jigs in about 10′

crappieguy

Ahem…

I’ve used it in 8-9′ of water on my 22HD. Low-power mode, worked like a charm.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Nice, thanks crappie guy. I heard they are great with IR, my old 19deg was awful with noise

tswoboda

The Proview is really annoying when using a slender spoon. Other than that I like it. It’s awesome for lakers.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

So far I am really liking this transducer. Have used it from 8 to 30 fee switching to low power mode under 20 for. The only thing I am disappointed with is the IR claims. Didn’t seem much different than my 19deg

Running in LP mode will make a vexliar more susceptible to noise.

hamms
    Mn

I like the 12 degree the most when I ran the vex units. If you are searching swing the ducer no need for 20degree and the 12 was good in shallow water didn’t have to mess with the top of the weeds on the flasher screen.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

I have put some more hours on the ice with the proview transducer, the more i use it the more i really like it. I was fishing in some deeper water (30′) for gills and every jig i tied up showed up great, easily dialed the gain to get as much or as little return as possible. As fishwater stated above, i found when switched out of LP mode my vex was impervious to interference. My buddy has his LX5 10 feet away over 35 feet of water and didn’t have a single blip on my screen, this is very impressive, my old 19 deg would have been blown away with interference.

The only wierd thing i notice with this transducer is there seems be times were fish just show up on my jig rather than come in from the side, almost like a dead spot in the transducer cone, this happened with my old ducer but less common, its not a big deal at all, more just an observation.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The only wierd thing i notice with this transducer is there seems be times were fish just show up on my jig rather than come in from the side, almost like a dead spot in the transducer cone, this happened with my old ducer but less common, its not a big deal at all, more just an observation.

That is typical of a 9deg transducer. Smaller “cone”, smaller coverage area. It has its benefits that’s for sure. Watch the video I posted above. It would explain your dead spot.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Biggill – i watched it before but forgot about the “lobe effect” thanks for pointing that out.

One more update, had it out in 4-5 FOW on saturday and it was a little tough but i was able to make it work. Felt my old 19deg ducer worked a little better in this range but considering how much better the proview works in all other depth ranges I am still very happy with this ducer. It is a better “all around” transducer than i thought it would be.

hnd

in shallow water you have to use it in low power mode and even after that i feel a suppression cable is necessary otherwise in low power mode a size 12 fiskas is thick red line in less than 10′ of water. even with the gain turned to near 0 and at that point you have any hardly angle to it. i get the concept but my buddy wasn’t the first person i’ve heard complain about it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.