Verticle jigging return speed/lag on echoMAP 73sv or other units?

• Troy Feeken

I’m thinking of picking up this unit for my winter and summer needs and just wondering if anyone has vertically jigged and used the graph or flasher display for that return or if anyone has used theirs in the winter time? Just curious if there’s any lag in the display in comparisons to the helix models.

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Hey Troy I am running that set up right now so that I can plug my Panoptix Transducer in as well as my GT8 ice fishing transducer. The answer is yes there is a slight leg when jigging I do not know how that compares to the helix but it is a slight leg and that is in part to the unit clearing up interference as it is designed as a summer unit to do traditional sonar. However I used this all last winter and this winter and have no issues. I will try and get a video up to show.

Troy Feeken

Hey Danny, thanks for the response! Do you need an adapter to hook up their ice ducer to the head unit? I’ve seen it along side the ice ducer on some websites but not sure if its necessary. What are you transporting it in? I’m trying to find a way to build something up and make a case for it. Cabelas has a hard base/shuttle for it but will probably need to get creative for a bag or something of the like.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-sonar-hard-case/1400027.uts#tabsCollection

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Troy,

You will for sure need an adapter to hook up the GT8IF (Ice Fishing Transducer) to the EchoMap CHIRP 73 and up.

I had an extra Garmin Portable Pack so I put my EchoMap CHIRP 73cv in there and used a Ram Mount to mount it to the already in place nuts. Worked out very well actually and the portable pack came with the bag, bracket, battery, and a suction cup transducer to use when I rent a boat up in Canada.

I took a few quick pictures:

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2981.jpg

2. IMG_2983.jpg

3. IMG_2982.jpg

4. IMG_2980.jpg

The answer is yes there is a slight leg when jigging I do not know how that compares to the helix but it is a slight leg and that is in part to the unit clearing up interference as it is designed as a summer unit to do traditional sonar.

I’ve always experienced (perceived) a slight lag-time running bird and lowrance graphs; my guess is, it’s about the same for all marine units. I run a vex on my boat for vertical jigging. I rarely use it, but it is the perfect tool when that sort of bite is working.

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Fishwater…if you are looking for something to use for jigging in the summer to pair with your Garmin Units take a look at Panoptix PS30. There is nothing comparable.

I spent a lot of time jig raping with it and even drop shot fishing smallies absolutely amazing.

eric borkoski

I will throw in my .02 as far as the case options.
    I have had quite a few buddies mount several different 7″ units on a Genz Blue Box and they have all worked very well.
    Once you have it mounted take it to Cabela’s or somewhere similar and take a look at the small tackle/duffel bags they carry.
    I have found them in the bins usually by the fly shop.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m waiting for panoptics for ice fishing. I think that would be awesome.

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Troy,

You would need a 4 pin Transducer to 8 pin sounder #010-11948-00, and then an 8 pin to 12 pin 010-12122-10

If you are using a Minn Kota trolling motor with that unit you would have the 8 pin to 12 pin already.

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Biggill…standby…There will be some very cool videos coming on this in the near future )

Troy Feeken

Wow, Garmin is certainly making this difficult. $120 transducer, $20 8 to 12 pin adapter AND a $17 4 to 8 pin adapter. Nothing like lugging around an extra 3 feet of cable.

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Troy,

The problem is Panoptix is made to be mounted in your boat right now and not for ice fishing. So initially i dont think they thought people would want 7″ screens for ice fishing and this wouldn’t of been a problem however with bigger screens being more popular for ice fishing and panoptix gaining attention for ice fishing as well I would stay tuned to see what will be coming!!

Troy Feeken

This thread was started with regards to ice fishing with the Garmin GT8HW-IF Ice Fishing transducer. So if I want to use that transducer, do I need both of those adapters?

Troy Feeken

Now I’ve come to learn from Garmin support that the ice ducer is not functional with the non CHRIP unit. Is that true?

dogs
    Hugo

Great Post
    Looking at buying same unit for same purposes.

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Troy,

What Model do you have a CHIRP or NonCHIRP??

mojogunter

In regards to panoptix the transducer needs a power source as well, and I have no idea how much power the transducer draws. A panoptix ice fishing setup would be pretty cool, but the sonar angle is quite wide so it would have to be at the bottom of the ice to work to it’s potential. I have to raise my motor slightly or it picks it up.

shamus
    Inactive

FWIW, I used my Garmin 53DV on the ice for the first time yesterday for about 4 hours and I was pretty happy. I bought the Ice Ducer and portable pack and used flasher mode all day. I didn’t see a significant lag while vertical jigging. Pretty great to have a unit that I can use on the ice, in the boat, and have the lake maps/GPS all in one.

So far so good.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.