Venison sticks

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

One batch finished except for vacuum packing. I am done doing this for the masses, now I’ll get mine done a little later on. After Christmas maybe when things “holiday” have settled down.

Straight, lean trimmed venison here. Did a pepper blend this time around. They sure are tasty.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1526.jpg

haleysgold
    SE MN

Tom – What did you use, a purchased seasoning packet? Smoker? Oven?

They look mighty tasty!

By the way it was nice meeting you in LC a couple weeks ago.
    I went down the next day and tried the new baits. They worked, but still couldn’t get any bigger ones. Thanks! Looking forward to stopping on some Saturday and checking out your wares!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I used a high mountain stick kit for these. These are the pepper style. Had I had more meat I would have gone to the Butcher shop for their seasonings and casings. When I get into the meat from the buck I got I’ll be going to Ye Olde for the stick seasonings. The stick casings are cheaper at Scheels in Rochester. You’ll get two strands for about $12.00, not a bad price as these casings are super spendy little suckers. I’ve seen them cost up to $9.00 for one strand. For smaller batches of meat for sticks the kits are way more affordable. For batches in the 50 pound and up range get the bulk seasoning from Ye Olde. Be sure to specify having the cure added based on poundage. Also get estimates for the water weighs you’ll have to add and mix in prior to stuffing, also based on weight. Use bottled, un-chlorinated water.

These were not smoked. They were laid across the oven racks and the oven set at 190 for 3 1/2 hours, oven door cracked. I’ve fond that the sticks take smoke very fast and it can get over-whelming so these I just heat/dry in the oven.

If you want smoke flavor, pickup a bottle of liquid smoke and add about 2 ounces to 6 ounces of water and use a hand sprayer to give the sticks, or jerky strips even, just a light spray before sliding them in the oven. Half way thru the drying/cooking turn the sticks over and give them another light shot. It doesn’t take much. More and more commercial sausage makers are going to heated smoke boxes that use sprayed liquid smoke in lieu of actual wood smoke. Temps are easier to control and the liquid smoke gives a far more consistent coverage in way less time.

Fleet Farm carries a lot of the LEM products including pint bottles of their liquid smoke. Its super concentrated so an ounce in 6 ounces of water is a good ratio. You may have to go back into the housewares section to find this if its not in with the smokers and seasonings.

The High Mountain and Backwoods jerky kits are great and give you a very nice finished product, especially in the ground meat style of jerky. If I do cut muscle jerky I mix pepper to taste with, 2 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup of Morton Tenderquick I blend this together in a large bowl with a wire whisk until its very well mixed and then just rub it into the meat and lay the cuts in a plastic tub or cake pan. Gotta be glass or plastic, no metal containers. The meat is set aside for at least 24 hours, rinsed with cold running water, patted dry then smoked in a moderate heat for 4 hours, then spread out on the oven racks at 190 degrees to dry as preferred.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Thanks Tom,

Always very help and very much appreciated.

Happy Friday!
    Dave

glenn57
    cold spring mn

One batch finished except for vacuum packing. I am done doing this for the masses, now I’ll get mine done a little later on. After Christmas maybe when things “holiday” have settled down.

Straight, lean trimmed venison here. Did a pepper blend this time around. They sure are tasty.

mine must still be on the delivery truck! devil whistling grin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.