US or Canada Side

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

We are heading to Rainy River April 11-14. Wondering how many guys get the Canadian license vs. just staying on the MN side. Also is it fairly easy to tell which side you are on? This will be our first time.

I do have the Ontario sportsman card from our Fly-In that we did last summer if that matters at all.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

You will need a Canadian Sporstman card which allows you to purchase a Canadian License. I also believe you need a remote border crossing card and must call Canadian customs when entering Canadian water and must call US customs when returning. You cannot have minnows or alcohol in boat and I believe they do not allow sturgeon fishing. In my mind not worth it. It is not always easy to tell when you are on their side even with gps its your word against theirs.

Mwal

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I guess if you intend to vertical or drag jigs in the channel with the masses, you don’t need one. You won’t have a problem unless you are obviously and blatantly on the wrong side of the river.

Now, if you are casting jigs to shallower water the Canadian side opens more options but the MN side has plenty of options.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

lol….you are going to get varied answers

Go Spuds

I think the rainy is going to be a complete gong show this year

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Compared to what? It’s always a complete gong show.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Go Spuds wrote:</div>

Compared to what? It’s always a complete gong show.

It seems some years are worse than others like last year.

I’m curious if the new regs. will thin out the the boats.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It has to do with the bite and available open water. Less open water, more boats per mile. Better bite, more boats. I personally love it when it’s open all the eay to the lake. A lot of great spots get overlooked.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I don’t think the new regs will keep anyone away. People don’t wait in 3 miles lines to keep 2 fish. They do it for the chance of big fish and numbers.

If everyone in our group could fish Canada, I would get it for sure.

Go Spuds

I think best case scenario there will be 1 weekend to fish…other years we have had 2-3 weekends to choose from. Combine that with the late spring–ton of snow I think it also sets up to be super dirty.

So maybe most years its a gong show–this year I think it will be a cluster F

bigbeard

^ That is why I plan to be in Green Bay moon smash smash

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think it’s too early to declare a late spring. We’re looking at picture perfect melt conditions next week.

Attachments:
    1. DFCA56C2-D71E-4679-9C1A-8CE4E415AEF0.png

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

You will need a Canadian Sporstman card which allows you to purchase a Canadian License. I also believe you need a remote border crossing card and must call Canadian customs when entering Canadian water and must call US customs when returning. You cannot have minnows or alcohol in boat and I believe they do not allow sturgeon fishing. In my mind not worth it. It is not always easy to tell when you are on their side even with gps its your word against theirs.

Mwal

My understanding is all you need is a license to fish Canadian side. BUT you cannot anchor or touch shore with boat or go ashore. No calling or RABC card needed. That is the new regs as of last year according to a guide I know.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigbeard wrote:</div>
    ^ That is why I plan to be in Green Bay moon smash smash

Shhhhhh!

Same show just a different venue.

lindyrig79

I think it’s too early to declare a late spring. We’re looking at picture perfect melt conditions next week.

I’m hopeful too. Seems if we got a good melt most of next week that could leave 2+ weeks of fishing. Fingers crossed things don’t reverse like last year.

lindyrig79

My understanding is all you need is a license to fish Canadian side. BUT you cannot anchor or touch shore with boat or go ashore. No calling or RABC card needed. That is the new regs as of last year according to a guide I know.

I did some more research last night. From what I could tell, it looks like I could purchase an 8 day Canadian fishing license for $33.92 online. Plus you need the Sportsmans card (like $10) but I already have that. Actually that seems like a cheap way to get some more elbow room so might still consider doing that.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I called Canada on Monday- as my passport expired this past November. I inquired as to whether or not I was still required to buy a RABC to fish the Canadian side of the rainy river. They told me that yes I still need it to fish their side. He mentioned that you don’t need it if you are only passing through while going from fishing spot a to spot b. That was my experience on Monday. I am not sure why there are so many mixed reports on whether or not it is needed. After I got off the phone, I sent in my application for the RABC, and I will buy the Ontario fishing license online as well.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I called Canada on Monday- as my passport expired this past November. I inquired as to whether or not I was still required to buy a RABC to fish the Canadian side of the rainy river. They told me that yes I still need it to fish their side. He mentioned that you don’t need it if you are only passing through while going from fishing spot a to spot b. That was my experience on Monday. I am not sure why there are so many mixed reports on whether or not it is needed. After I got off the phone, I sent in my application for the RABC, and I will buy the Ontario fishing license online as well.

If you haven’t dealt with Canadian border agents or immigration much than you might not be aware that it is very common to have very mixed answers to a single question or issue.

You’ve never needed a RABC or an Ontario fishing license to navigate on Canadian waters, so that part is technically incorrect. I’m guessing the person you talked to gave you the most conservative answer possible because they didn’t know the correct answer.

Here’s where you find that information.
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html

If you enter Canadian waters, you are not required to present yourself and report your goods to the CBSA if you:

do not land on Canadian soil and do not anchor, moor or make contact with another conveyance while in Canadian waters;
    do not embark or disembark people or goods in Canada.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Just asking here, Let’s say you are jig fishing and your hook touches the bottom of the side that is Canadian in the Rainy River, or even you get snagged and travel back to retrieve the rig when a CA patrol boat finds you?

What would you need then?

lindyrig79

Good post Biggill. You can clearly see the *note* that was a recent change.

However, just running a search on RABC comes up with this info:

The RABC permit is valid for the following remote areas:
    From Pigeon River through to and including Lake of the Woods
    The Canadian shore of Lake Superior
    Cockburn Island
    Sault Ste. Marie (upper lock system)

The RABC (Remote Area Border Crossing) permit, allows the bearer to cross the Border into Canada at the above remote areas without reporting to a port of entry, as long as imported goods are declared.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Could they technically say you were anchored?

lindyrig79

In looking at a map, the Pigeon River is on the far eastern side of the MN / US border. Following it all the way to LOTW, would include Rainy River, IMO.

Don’t know why it has to be so complicated! doah

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve never fished the Canadian side, and never felt like I was missing out. If you have a good map chip it will show the border, which is generally (but not always!) the middle of the river, so whoever is in control of the boat should be paying close attention to the electronics. And don’t push your luck, the Canadian CO’s will be out and patrolling and seems like they get a few guys every year.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

We’ve been fishing Rainy River for about 20 years. Never had an Ontario license. Never needed it.

On a funny side note. One time years ago we were fishing close to the line and casting into Canadian waters (as best we could tell) with a Canadian CO about. Yeah, the beer and bait keep us from wasting time and money on an Ontario license.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Just asking here, Let’s say you are jig fishing and your hook touches the bottom of the side that is Canadian in the Rainy River, or even you get snagged and travel back to retrieve the rig when a CA patrol boat finds you?

What would you need then?

You would need these.

Attachments:
    1. 42EDBEBE-DD81-496A-96CE-16CD14F2039D.jpeg

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

What part is technically incorrect? I stated that the person I spoke with said you did not need the RABC on the rainy river while navigating from spot a to spot b- like non fishing.

You stated you have never needed it…yes I agree if your not planning on fishing the canadian side.

Since it seems that it is always up to interpretation or discretion of the officer-and there are mixed opinions on the matter. I am always going to purchase it, and then not have to worry about anything. Fish are biting on the MN side, great I will fish there. Too crowded on the MN side? Great I’ll switch sides.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

From my experience on the river we can not and do not cross the Canadian line if we dont want to be bothered. But on the lake we cut across the line all the time for a quicker route.
    It’s not worth the hassle up there for the little time you have. They can and will eat up lots of your time if you are in the wrong.
    If i crossing on the river I’d get the permits just to have

lindyrig79

Both myself and a buddy just called up there and we were both told you do not need an RABC on the Rainy River if you do not anchor, touch shore, or touch another boat.

toll free (877)854-RABC

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The RABC is like $30 US dollars.
    For around $70 bucks you can have the RABC (good for one year), Canadian outdoors card, and a 8 day license. So for that price you don’t have to worry about the “line” just go fishing for a fish of a lifetime. Yes plenty of fish on MN side also. The price to get one and clear up the confusion is cheap, the ticket if you don’t have one is a tough one. I have seen it many of times, seen a boat get taken by the Canadian MNR as well. The price is cheap if you want to fish the entire river.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.