Upper Red Lake….

• Tonka
    Minnesota

Hey everyone, I am wondering if anyone could give me a current update on what is going on as far as the bite on Upper Red Lake. We leave Sunday and stay til Wednesday out of Beacon Harbor Resort. I was told that it’s been a good night bite, but really slow during the day. We will have snowmobiles and portables, so being mobile shouldn’t be an issue, but the guys and I would just like a starting place. Brad Hawthorne puts out weekly reports and said that some of the fish are still shallow, but some are starting to move out to a little deeper water. Beacon Harbor is on the north side of the lake but we are willing to drive to the south side if that’s where they are biting. Any information helps and is much appreciated, as always thanks ahead for any tips.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Here’s all you need to know about red. Get away from everyone! Stay quiet. That lake is shallow and the fish are constantly moving to get away from the noise.

Get away from the crowd!

My goal is to get 1 mile away from the nearest person. A minnow on a plain hook an some kind of jigging rod will work just fine. The night bite is always good. It lasts all night, typically later in the night 1-5 am.

Get far away!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Here’s all you need to know about red. Get away from everyone! Stay quiet. That lake is shallow and the fish are constantly moving to get away from the noise.

Get away from the crowd!

My goal is to get 1 mile away from the nearest person. A minnow on a plain hook an some kind of jigging rod will work just fine. The night bite is always good. It lasts all night, typically later in the night 1-5 am.

Get far away!

That’s perfect advice for Red Lake. bow

Travis Swanson

Don’t know about this year but last year each time a buddy and I went up there we went to the pressure ridge or were at least 3 to 5 miles away from anyone else…I agree with the keep the noise down….we drilled several holes and then waited a bit before fishing. Our best fishing and biggest fish all came this way. I will also agree is just looking for good eaters the night bite from a cabin is awesome.

Tonka
    Minnesota

We just got back and it was an awesome trip. I appreciate everyone’s help, it was great advice and paid off. We went out away from everyone and also looked for some “deeper water”, 12 ft is deepest we fished and found….thank you all again for the help!

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Nice to hear.
    Can you share details of your catch?
    I was up there two weeks ago and had fun but only caught a few fish.
    Thinking of going up again in January.
    Thanks

Tonka
    Minnesota

Wharf, I fished the 1/8 oz red glow tingler all 3 days. I out fished my two other buddies who seemed a little proud to switch to what I was using. On the deadstick rod it didn’t seem to matter too much as to what type of lure you were using. The plain red hook did well on the rattle reels at night compared to what we had on the other lines. Again, I would get to the deeper water and move if you aren’t getting fish on your screen. Our pattern up there was to pick a spot, set up for an hour or so, and move on. Almost every stop we would get consistent action for an hour, and it would die, so we would move, and repeat the process. I used a full minnow in my tingler, and rainbow chubs seemed to do way better than the fatheads. Some fish were quite finicky and you would have to work the fish on your screen for a good 3 or 4 minutes before getting them to bite. A lot of yo yo’ing the fish, and banging it in the bottom seemed to bring fish back into my screen after they would dissapear. If you have navionics you can get a general idea of where the deeper water starts, but we were pretty much in the middle of the lake in terms of the upper right half of the lake. One last little bit of info, There is a big ice heave that goes pretty much around the entire edge of the lake, in some spots closer to shore, and in others maybe a mile out, either way, if you want to cross it to access the deeper water, there was a bridge on the south east corner out from shore maybe a mile. I don’t know what other information I could give you but if you have any questions let me know. We stayed at Beacon Harbor and John treated us quite well. Good luck!

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Thanks for the info Tonka!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.