Upper Red Lake – In-Depth Outdoors TV Season 14, Episode 3

• Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Season 14, Episode 3 is Live!

James Holst and PJ Vick head to JR’s corner access on Upper Red Lake for a great shallow water early ice walleye bite.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The wet boot didn’t look fun. doah

Walleyeguy34

What kind of line do you guys run on those I fish pros?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

In this episode we were using Tuned Up Customs dead sticks with the new Okuma 500 series baitfeeder spooled with 6# Sufix Advance.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The wet boot didn’t look fun. doah

No, that was zero fun. Of course it was 52 degrees so it wasn’t THAT bad.

shockers
    Rochester

Don’t give up on ND. Looking forward to some episodes from there.

I salute your dedication! That’s hardcore. Well done.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Don’t give up on ND. Looking forward to some episodes from there.

I salute your dedication! That’s hardcore. Well done.

We’re heading back tomorrow for round 2.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Great dedication & persistence on the stubborn fish!
    What kind of minnow you guys using? Shiners, Fatheads??
    Also noticed you have your setups spread out quite a bit, and just wondering why? Again, great show. Thanks.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Great dedication & persistence on the stubborn fish!
    What kind of minnow you guys using? Shiners, Fatheads??
    Also noticed you have your setups spread out quite a bit, and just wondering why? Again, great show. Thanks.

We were using the biggest fatheads we could find.

We did try some suckers but never had a flag.

We had our I fish pros set around the edge of a small high spot that topped at 8′. There were two sharper breaks off that high spot into deeper water (9.5′) where we caught almost all of our fish. Having ifishpros on both sharp breaks allowed us to cover the high percentage areas.

munchy
    NULL

I’m guessing that spot now has a few dozen houses on top of it by now. doah

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m guessing that spot now has a few dozen houses on top of it by now. doah

Anything’s possible I guess, but I wouldn’t think so. On that spot there’s room for one, maybe two, houses at the most.

The nice thing about upper red Lake is if you’re willing to move a few times during the day there’s a very high likelihood you’re going to find fish because the fish are scattered all over the place.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyeguy34 wrote:</div>

In this episode we were using Tuned Up Customs dead sticks with the new Okuma 500 series baitfeeder spooled with 6# Sufix Advance.

How do you guys like the 6# Advance for ice applications? Was it “coily”? Tried out the 8# on some jigging rods this past summer and love it!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

How do you guys like the 6# Advance for ice applications? Was it “coily”? Tried out the 8# on some jigging rods this past summer and love it!

The 6-pound is very user-friendly even in very cold temps. I think you’ll be very impressed.

Tim Schneider

I am in the market for a couple of the new okuma baitfeeders that you were using and noticed that the baitfeeders drag (secondary drag) was not free spooling like an open bail would when using the iFish Pro. The rods were somewhat loaded when you would get to a fish. You also didn’t let out any line when you approached. You basically walked up, flipped the bait feeder lever and started reeling. Was that by design? We’re you letting the fish kind of hook themselves based upon the hooks you were using. Did you set the bait feeder drag tighter for a reason?

Thanks!

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

James,

Are you running the advance as your line for jigging rods as well or are you still going with braid and a leader? I am heading out to North Dakota early January and typically do braid with leader because I am fishing in a house most of the time so elements are not an issue but if you think the advance is good for year round jigging I would just go with that.

Roberto Briones

Hi James,
    Great show man. I’ve been watching it for a few years now and really like it. Especially the ice fishing episodes. I live in Ottawa, ON, Canada and I’m getting into it hard.
    I noticed that the micro baitfeeders from Okuma have not been released yet. Do you have any idea when they will be?

Thanks and keep up the good work!
    Roberto (@DrBOutdoors)

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

They were released in the states around October. Not sure about north of the border.

Thomas Brynildson
    Otter Tail County

Gotta be careful on that slough James fell through… I live 1.5 miles north of it and every year it has sketchy ice. Was fishing on it two weeks ago and the entire Eastern end of it was open water again after a steady wind. We had 5-6 inches closer to shore but we ventured out some to our more reliable spots and quickly ran into 2 inches. Most times when you enter it from the Western edge, you’ll have some sketchy ice right by those cattails James walked through (as can be seen in the episode) but usually that entire side has the best ice on the entire pond. On the plus side, it’s basically a bowl and is stocked so full of walleye you don’t really need to try and get anywhere special.

russ geldrich

James what is the model of the new red snowmobile? Or is that PJs personal machine. ?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.