Upper Miss Navigation

• roottwo

I might head to the Mississippi this weekend near Aitkin or Crosby. I’d head upstream more than likely. I have a 14′ jon with a 20hp prop. I’ve ran these stretches before, but with the water quite a bit higher than it looks like it will be this week. Anyone have experience there? I’m curious what the pucker factor will be since don’t have a jet. It seems like the Aitkin stretch isn’t that rocky, but I do remember a lot of deadheads.

I know hazards are to be expected, but I also don’t want to putt along at idle speed for hours either.

blank

According to the USGS, the water is actually quite low, about 10% at Aitkin currently and still low in Brainerd despite the 1″ rain last night. The heaviest rain was all south of hwy 210.

http://www.waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=mn

dbright
    Cambridge

We covered alot of water north of aitkin this weekend. It is definitely low but if you take your time you should be able to get around without to much trouble. Obviously the shallow rocky stretches will be tougher to navigate.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yep, go slow and dont worry about hitting stuff. You are going to hit stuff so no sense worrying about it. Was a little surprised to see a bank slide and trees completely blocking the river in one area. Glad to see the river hasnt come up much with the rain. Might have to head back up there this weekend.

Fishing was good.

roottwo

Tried to push a ways upriver through some rocky stretches. Definitely did hit stuff, but came out ok and drifted back. Caught a few fish, but mostly was in exploration and adventure mode. That hwy 6 landing is in tough shape.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.