Grouse forage?

• ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Slim picking for the grouse food this winter from the looks of it. I hope the aspens put out enough to keep them alive. I noticed a real lack of normal alder catkins, dogwood berries, and other grouse food. I did see tons of acorns which both the birds I got had in their crops along with small green leaves like strawberry? Can anyone tell my why I busted brush for an hour and a half, bleeding on both forearms, sweating my b@lls off, not seeing or hearing a single bird then I pop out onto the road and there is a bird be-boping around? Don’t get me wrong I was thankful and he was tasty but come on! The day before I had to restock my vest I missed so many times! They pull that sneaky right or left turn at the end of the flush so you can’t pinpoint the next flush ugh!!!! Anyway I was very happy to see the number of birds I saw even though I only got 2 out of 15 flushes! I feel normal again now that I have put on a few miles in all of this fall beauty! I didn’t see a single timber doodle either which is the first time in over twenty years! How you guy’s doing?

Ferny.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I dropped two on Sat morning in Wisconsin. Only flushed 2 more but didnt hunt very long. Took my old girl and she’s still got it. Crossin Eyes and his dad got 3 messing around in NC MN after fishing. None of us are freezing them but we are getting some super fine meals.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Nice o/u Ferny! What kind is that?

I’m only 2 birds for 20(ish) flushes….. but some of those came while I was stalking down a tree rat. .410 is responsible for both. One from the Judge and one from a Stoeger Uplander.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Stillakid haha got ya. The gun is a $300 used Turkish made Sarsilmaz. Yep I never heard of it either. I bought it on a whim wondering if I would like an O/U. Well I rarely shoot anything else. I love how short it is and how it handles! I really need a nice Browning or Ruger Red Label but just can’t justify $1K plus on a grouse gun. I don’t have to worry about scratching this thing. The only problem I have had is I broke two firing pins in 6 years. I do fine at trap shooting but the dang grouse are laughing at me.

Ferny

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Well, at least you were able to fix those pins! You’re right…. never heard of that brand! Don’t worry though, the grouse are laughing at me too! Well, the ones that escape anyway!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.