Pheasant; shot size?

• elheldt
    N E Iowa

I have a 1971 Ithica pump full choke shotgun that I just got back from a gunsmith after having it altered to accept modified and improved chokes. Thus enabling the use of steel shot. I am used to hunting with my 12 ga. Ithica. My question for you is shot size. I figure that opening few days I’ll be jumping birds up closer than later in season. What choke and shot size in steel are you other 20 ga. shooters using. ~~~Thanks~~~Gene

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Improved with a # 6 in the chamber and # 4’s in the magazine incase your able to get a second shot off.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Improved with a # 6 in the chamber and # 4’s in the magazine incase your able to get a second shot off.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Yep…….I actually use 7’s the first week and then switch over to 4’s or even 2’s. Improved or Modified on top barrel and Full choke under.Gotta give the birds a chance and only use 2 shot’s. Gotta love a challenge!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Yep…….I actually use 7’s the first week and then switch over to 4’s or even 2’s. Improved or Modified on top barrel and Full choke under.Gotta give the birds a chance and only use 2 shot’s. Gotta love a challenge!

shaley
    Milford IA

I use 5 or 6 shot on both my 20 and 12’s, most are running either a fixed mod or the mod choke. I dont use steel though only lead since I only hunt private grounds.

shaley
    Milford IA

I use 5 or 6 shot on both my 20 and 12’s, most are running either a fixed mod or the mod choke. I dont use steel though only lead since I only hunt private grounds.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I bleieve the basic “Rule of Thumb” is drop 2 sizes when shooting steel. I shoot lead 4’s 5’s and 6’s depending on the situation if I’m posting, pass shooting, time of year, cover, etc. So if I was shooting steel I would shoot 2’s to 4’s, depending on the aobve.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I bleieve the basic “Rule of Thumb” is drop 2 sizes when shooting steel. I shoot lead 4’s 5’s and 6’s depending on the situation if I’m posting, pass shooting, time of year, cover, etc. So if I was shooting steel I would shoot 2’s to 4’s, depending on the aobve.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Yes – Rob is giving good advise on the best shot sizes. Size 3 steel shot is available at times and that is one of my favorite sizes for roosters and ducks as well. The other thing you might want to look at is to purchase high velocity loads – especially with steel shot – speed kills! So check to be sure your 20 gauge takes 3 inch shells. Good luck and hunt safe – oh, and watch out for that steel shot when eating the birds – can be tough on the teeth! Chuckles

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Yes – Rob is giving good advise on the best shot sizes. Size 3 steel shot is available at times and that is one of my favorite sizes for roosters and ducks as well. The other thing you might want to look at is to purchase high velocity loads – especially with steel shot – speed kills! So check to be sure your 20 gauge takes 3 inch shells. Good luck and hunt safe – oh, and watch out for that steel shot when eating the birds – can be tough on the teeth! Chuckles

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.