Upland Boots

• Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

What type of boots are you guys running? And what conditioning products?
    I have been wearing Meindl UltraLight’s Uninsulated for the past several year and really like them for the original price.
    I have been using SnoSeal to condition and help waterproof and don’t have any real feelings towards that particular product.

This will likely be the last season in these boots, and the uninsulated model of my boots has been discontinued.
    I get hot easily so I don’t want to switch into a 800 gram thinsulate.
    Does anybody have any strong feelings towards anything out on the market?

I am a little wary about the wingmasters because of the tread. I hunt a lot in the snow and take some pretty steep hills, so something with some grip would make a guy feel better about staying upright.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I like my Wingshooters, but like you said, the tread leaves a bit to be desired.

I’ve also been using SnoSeal, and I have been happy with it.

Nice Fella

There are at least 2 other recent threads on this topic in the Hunting Gear forum. Seems like one of those topics that comes up every year – which is good, useful, and up to date information.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Under Armour makes some cool hunting boots. I have two versions of the Speed Freak. Best I have ever had for Grouse Hunting and doing a lot of walking.
    Like wearing tennis shoes. I do however not like them as much pheasant hunting because of lack of side rigidity, that make them so nice for walking. It kinda looks like they gave up on hunting boots as their current offering doesn’t look as nice as they used to and models are dropped.

Obsession
    Maple Grove

Crispi has some fantastic options!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I use my Kenetrek mountain extremes. The stiff soles make walking 10 plus miles easy on the feet! The rest of the body hates it, but that’s just because I’m out of shape!

Reef W

For pheasant Danner Alsea is what I’ve settled on. Maybe a little much for “upland” but public land usually isn’t a nice flat field. I used to like the Danner High Ground but I’ll never buy boots with fabric lace loops again because they break too easy.

For grouse Danner Radical 452 is what I have. I only bought them because I needed a boot shorter than where I cut my leg really bad but I ended up really liking them. I wear them quite a bit for any outdoors activity where I need a bit more than a regular shoe.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Cannot go wrong with crispi or kennetreck boots as far a quality goes, but they fit the foot much differently. I was 100% sold on Crispi boots, then I went to buy them and there was none in the store, so I tried on the kennetreck… all it took was getting to a place where I tried them both on and I wound up with the kennetreck. I have an uncle that has both and says the cripis are far better for him, the Kennetreck hurt his feet. Clear as mud for ya now!!! LOL

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have the Wingshooter 808’s and they are probably the most comfortable boot I’ve ever owned. To the point I wear them socially as well at times. However you are correct on the tread being very light, and not very good in hilly terrain or slippery conditions.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

The best boot I’ve worn is the Irish Setter VaprTrek. Very lightweight and comfortable with little break in time. The toe covering is well designed and virtually eliminates toe wear. The waterproof membrane seems good. I’m on year 4 and they still don’t leak.
    It’s a very good value too at about $159 retail most places.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.